Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec Tec RT-340 Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec RT-340 Rust

Hi - I purchased a new Rec Tec RT-340 a little over two months ago and have been very happy with its performance. It is a great supplement to my 18-inch WSM, especially in the Florida heat. About a week ago, I noticed that the paint was peeling and there was rust on the gap between the pellet hopper lid and the main body. Obviously, I was surprised given that it is only two months old and has been under its cover when not in use. Rec Tec customer service is sending out a powder coat paint touch-up kit as a first step. So, I was hoping to get opinions on (a) is this typical on Rec Tecs (or any other pellet smokers), (b) if you have experienced this issue, has touch-up paint solved the problem and (c) given that this happened when it was practically new, should I be concerned about longevity of the 340? Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RT340 Rust.jpeg
Views:	699
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	535425
    Attached Files

I don't have a Rec Tec but I do deal with corrosion. The key to stopping it is good prep work. Do you have a Dremel tool~

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup better get after it before it gets worse. Grind it down and touch it up with a good paint like Rust-Oleum.

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a Dremel, so I am not sure the best way to prep the surface. I am assuming Rec Tec will provide instructions with the touch-up paint kit.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Spacecase at the very least sand it down. Without surface prep you'll just be whizzin' in the wind.

I recall that my brother had a similar challenge with his Rec-Tec after he bought it a few years ago. They sent him some paint and that seemed to have solved it. I would ask them for some free stuff when they send you the paint...

Comment

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good idea, but the touch-up paint is already in the mail.

I have a RT-340 since March and I haven't seen anything like this. I live in a very dry area though. I do keep it under covered patio and also keep it under its cover most of the time. How far are you from the ocean? Yes, I would be concerned if it were me. Too bad, most of the unit is stainless steel, but not the hopper.
    Good luck with this, and I'll let you know if anything similar shows up on mine.

Comment

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      I live probably 20 miles or so from salt water and 5 miles from fresh water, so I don't think that is a factor here. The customer service folk have been helpful and say that the touch-up paint is the first step. So, I have faith that it will be resolved. Just kind of annoying to have friends asking what is wrong with my new smoker. Thanks.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I took a second look at my RT-340 and found that the area where your rust is looks like a raw metal edge on mine, with a small amount of paint chipping off. It is almost like this metal was cut after paint or powder coat, though that doesn't make sense. I'll send a pic tomorrow to show. I think I will paint this on mine, just to be sure not to rust.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, sorry to hear about the rust, but how have your cooks been on the Trailblazer? I've been very happy with my results.

No issues with my 680. I've had it for about 2yrs. Of course I live in the dry desert.

Comment

Here is the photo showing the raw steel edge and a small chip of missing paint on mine... Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_115201.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	536097

Comment

• Spacecase
        Spacecase commented
        Editing a comment
        That is very interesting. I would definitely hit that with some paint, so that it doesn't look like mine.
        As to your question about my cooks, I have had nothing but success. I have done mostly ribs & pork butts and they have turned out great. (Or at least great for my skill level.) I smoked sockeye salmon for lunch today and am getting ready to roast a spatchcocked chicken for dinner in few.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I've had a lot of success also. I like my trailblazer. I just finished pulling pork from a 17 lb shoulder cooked overnight. Started 8 PM and finished this morning at 10 AM. Taste great. I'll post some pics later on. Surprised it only took about 10 lbs of pellets for the 14 hour cook.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here