Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with baby back ribs with the RecTec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with baby back ribs with the RecTec?

Hi everyone,

I just received my first smoker, the new RecTec Bull, and I'm going to use it for the first time tomorrow. The meat...baby back ribs. I have a few questions...

Everything I've read says 225 degrees and 3-4 hours. Does this line up with your experiences?
    If I crank the grill up at the end would that be enough to caramelize the sauce when I put it on? Or do I need to enlist another grill?
    Any other pointers would be great

I imagine this info is already on here somewhere, but I'm not sure how to find it lol

Thanks!

dave

It all depends on the weight and thickness of the ribs. It might take 4 1/2 or it could take 7 hrs. If your going to sauce them just put them back in the RecTec for 15-20 mins longer to let the sauce set.

Congrats on your new RecTec and give us your review on it.

Comment

My Back Loin Ribs usually take 6 Hours at 225. I have done them on Charcoal Kettle and GMG Pellet. The timing is relative to what temperature you cook at, and as DWCowles said the size of the Ribs. The ribs I get at BJ’s are usually very thick. You can cook at a higher temp if you are trying to finish them faster. Baste your sauce when the ribs are almost done, last 1/2 hr or so.

Comment

Some baby backs have a thick piece of loin meat on the back side. These take longer to cook than BBs that don't have that hunk o' meat.

Comment

Check out Meathead's "Last Meal Ribs" recipe in the "Tested Recipes" section.

Comment

Ditto what DWCowles said. I would add that it depends on thickness and your preference for "doneness." Fall off the bone tender will take longer than those that still need some pull when you bite to get them off the bone.

Comment

3-2-1 about 3 hours to get to 160, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour to finish glaze, Yum!

Comment

On my RT-680 I do baby back ribs for 3-4 hours at 250°. Digital thermometers don't work well due to the proximity to the bones and the bend test doesn't work on baby backs. Check for probe tender starting at 3 hours. I finish on a gas grill to caramelize the sauce.

Congrats on your new Rec Tec. You're gonna love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here