Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mak or Rec Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mak or Rec Tec

Hey all. So I currently have a rec tec mini and I am looking to get either a new large rec tec or a Mak. I was wondering if anyone has cooked on both and can tell me if the MAk puts out more smoke than the rec tec, I keep hearing that.

I’ve not used either. But there are plenty of other pellet cookers in the Pit!

Comment

Good question.

This should be an interesting thread to watch...

*goes and gets some popcorn and waits for someone to come recommend a KBQ or Komodo*

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Or a paraglider?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not likely. In this case the title is "Rec Tec or Mak". In the other one, it was "Best smoker around $1500", not "Best Pellet Smoker around $1500" - you get my drift.

Ahhh the continuing saga of no smoke from the pellet pooper. Do yourself a favor, get an AMNPS tray or a tube. I know at least one guy that owns a MAK and at least a dozen guys that own Rec Tecs and trust me NONE of them produce much smoke above say 225*. I don't care what they say. They will show you videos of it smoking away when it's first turned on or when there's grease smoking off the burn plate. Once settled in and the pellets start their burn in the burn cup there is little or no chance for the smoldering required for smoke production in any design I have seen or heard of. Just the nature of the beast.

If you are happy with Rec Tec then I would suggest upgrading to the larger model. MAKs are well built but pretty pricey. Either way you will have to deal with smoke some other way.

Comment

I have the RT-680. If you search through here, you will see comments from me about the lack of smoke. For the most part, that was my own fault for not paying attention to small details. I get meteors now, when I want them, but it did take a small change in my approach. I throw a chunk or two on top of the heat deflector. This may sound like a problem, but to be honest, when I do this, I can change the flavor of the smoke without having to empty the pellet bin. So I run with a competition blend, and change up the chunks as a twist. Also, water. Not a pan... but misting the protein. I check every 45-60 minutes and give a quick spritz. It has changed things immensely.

I looked at the Mak. I do not own one, nor have I cooked on one. When I spoke to the wife about getting a smoker (bad idea btw, just do it, then ask for forgiveness) *we* decided to go with the Rec-Tec. =)

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I'll use a smoke tube to add smoke. When you put wood chunks on the deflector shield, do they ignite or just smolder? I thought about doing that before but thought if they ignite it would screw with the temp control.

• shush
          shush commented
          Editing a comment
          Just smolder. I haven't had any ignite (that I am aware of...)

Just fyi, I personally think that my rec tec mini puts out plenty of smoke for me, but I was just curious is all.

Comment

I’ve owned a MAK and a few other girlls for a few years & I think it’s safe to say that the flavor profile for all wood pellet smokers is similar & generally considered to be light/mild when compared to charcoal smokers & stick burners.

MAK, Yoder, RecTec.... we are using the same wood pellets that likely burn the same way & produce similar amounts of smoke. I think the difference in the products comes down to other factors, ie build quality, temperature control, price, etc.
          Last edited by kenrobin; January 5, 2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly....well said

• SMOG MAN
            SMOG MAN commented
            Editing a comment
            Study your budget and spend until it hurts for the best quality you can get and then learn how to use your equipment to your liking. I can burb smoke rings from food off my RecTec if I want and love to play with the smoke profile from the KBQ, I love to make my tools work for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	popcorn.gif
Views:	172
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	435095

Comment

Buy an easy bake oven

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here