Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REC TEC Smoker box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REC TEC Smoker box question

I'm assuming that the smoker box attaches to the chimney outlet on the main smoker and then the chimney on the smoker box becomes the only chimney on the unit. If that's not so, then my question may not make sense. However, assuming that's right, then does the addition of the smoker box have a positive impact on main chamber cooking? Seems to me like it may retard airflow which I think would be a good thing for smoke flavor. Make it a longer trip for air to exit, help hold smoke in the chamber. More smoke flavor. Anybody found that to be true, or any other differences with/without a smoker box?

It might help if we knew what smoker you are talkin' about - is it one of your GMGs? I don't own one, so can't help anyway.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      RecTec

Sorry... This is the RecTec forum so I didn't think to clarify, but I'm talking about the RecTec RT-480.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem - many here just go straight to today's posts, so we don't know what forum the post is in.
      Huskee - can this be "fixed"?

You mean the RecTec 680 there isn’t a 480. I don’t have the smoke box on mine so no help.

Comment

• mgood777
      mgood777 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL been doing too much smoker shopping. Too many model numbers to keep straight in my head. Thanks.

Bought the cold smoker attachment day one to smoke my fish and shrimp so I can't speak to the stock arrangement, but the box does circulate good smoke and since the door is not sealed, it actually shows smoke during warmup but once the heat is up a bit it flows well from the stack. You also have to remember the RecTec uses a blower to control flame/smoke profile and it has a magic "Xtra Smoke" button that you can use below 250*. It slows down the blower and cycles its speed to generate a little heavier smoke profile hence why I show a lot of ring in my pics from time to time. The box itself can regulate around 120-150* when the cook chamber is in smoke mode. Sometime I will actually open the door on the cold side to enhance the draft through the chamber depending on what I am doing. Well worth the money for the added real estate and the capabilities with fish and cheese. Hope that helps
    Attached Files

Comment

• FlaBouy
      FlaBouy commented
      Editing a comment
      That is for the pitmaster. NW Florida weather changes by the hour... It might be 110* in the shade at the start of a cook and halfway through the stall we may be getting 1" of liquid sunshine an hour. The hat helps keep the water out of the bourbon.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I'm contemplating a complete backyard re-do next spring, with outdoor kitchen/cue area as the focal point. I really like your patio, by the way, looks like a great place to hang !! And as to weather, dude I live in Houston, no different here

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you claiming that Smoke is what causes the Smoke Ring?

Current state..
    Attached Files

Comment

Top and bottom temps
      Attached Files

Comment

And who said pellet poopers don't make smoke !!!!!!

Comment

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          Only if you remove the bark..

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          politely disagree, FlaBouy.

Super helpful stuff. Thank you.

Comment

Doesn't look like you are getting a lot of feedback from pit members, but interesting question. There are a couple rec tec groups on facebook, you may want to post your question there. I'm very interested in this conversation, so if you do find additional info elsewhere, please report back.

Comment

• mgood777
            mgood777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I haven't really gotten anybody's opinion on what I asked. FB is a good idea. I will go look for the groups there and bring back the results.

Having a 680 I can cook 6 butts at one time avg size 8 lbs, or 6 slabs of baby backs with smoke tube also in there, I purchased the extra rack, but have not used it yet. I do not think you can put it over thick meats like butts, it does not have tall enough legs, but if ribs, chicken, brisket, plenty of room. On the regular grate and on top. if the extra grate is in there, I don't think you can put a butt on top. Just have not had a volume cook yet to try it out. But I love my Rec tec. takes the place of a Gasser. Much better taste, steak, hamburger, brats, pork chops, meat loaf,chicken, taters ect............ and much simpler than charcoal or wood, However sometime's still use my egg. The size of the extra grate is 32 x 11 and legs are 4 inch's tall.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here