Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Mods have you done to your RecTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Mods have you done to your RecTec

What have you done to your RecTec? I am interested in what mods you have done to your minor or major.

I have already installed the Fuller's earth in the bottom of the drum, a Nomex gasket on the hood, and a Hurd Downdraft hood.

When I assembled my grill I took the bottom shelf and turned it over so the lip is up to prevent things from sliding off the shelf. Yes the bolts and nut are exposed but it seems more functional to me.

I have also installed oversize wheels to raise it about 2" which, makes it easier for me to work with it. When I find the pics I will post them.

what does the downdraft hood aid with?

Comment

Originally posted by davidrewalt View Post
      what does the downdraft hood aid with?
      In theory and in taste. It holds the smoke a bit more in the drum forcing it to come down before it goes out instead just coming from the bottom and going up and out. It also seems to hold the heat in better also.

Comment

Very cool, where can you buy it?

Comment

Call Mike Hurd at (541) 995-6317. He is in Oregon. The hood is about $100 with shipping. I ordered mine on a Monday and had it by Thursday. It just took a few minutes to install.

Comment

What's the purpose of the fuller's earth, and where is it sourced?

Comment

Originally posted by smokinsteve View Post
              What's the purpose of the fuller's earth, and where is it sourced?
              Hello Steve!! and welcome to the "Pit Nation". I see this is your first post. You are going to like it here.

​Fullers Earth acts as an insulator and prevents the heat from radiating out the bottom of the drum. It also absorbs the grease from cooks and depending on how much you use your grill you will change it out by scooping and scrapping it out once or maybe twice a year. I have about 50 hrs of cook time on my RT and every 15 hrs or so I take the grates, heat deflector etc and vac out the ash and a little FE. A 40# bag is $9 at Advanced Auto. Use 1/2 a bag.

Comment

Hi Barry, I'm real happy to have just stumbled upon this RecTec sub-channel! The Fullers Earth idea is fantastic as I feel like my RecTec struggles getting up to (and holding) temperature here in the dead of CT winter. The downdraft mod is something I'm definitely interested in too. One thing that I struggle with is catching the juice running out of the cook. The space between between the bottom of the grate and the drip pan is so narrow that it's impossible to fit an appropriately sized pan underneath to catch drippings. The best I can do is to stuff one of those small 1-1/2" deep disposable aluminum trays underneath. I'm interested to read how other RecTec owners accomplish this.

Comment

Duff: I just remove one grate and set the gravy pan right on the angled drip plate then put the grate on the gravy pan.

Comment

My last Turkey, I did just as Max said, I lifted a grate placed the drip pan directly on the drip pan and put the grate on top of that. I had to adjust the box temp as my turkey was not raise at least 3" above the fluid level in the gravy pan as MH recommends. The reason is closer than 3" and the 325*F really falls off the closer to the liquid it gets. That was my first Spatchcocked Bird. It was great

Last edited by Marauderer; December 11, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Marauder: I got REC TEC's opinion of your mods. They believe temperature accuracy may be compromised by using the down draft device and the ability to achieve low temperatures in hot weather will inhibited by the modifications. I haven't found it necessary to modify our REC TEC. The dang thing has worked like a charm for me every time I fire it up.

Comment

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And I'll point out Max lives in the outskirts of Chicago, where it can get quite cold

I would like everyone to keep in mind that Pellet Grills have a lot in common with Gas grills. They need air to flow as designed by the manufacturer to function properly.

Barry you're a clever guy, but I have to agree with Max. I think you're playing with fire with some of these mods.

Comment

I like that Fuller's Earth mod... I am considering it for my Traeger. I think it would work the same way as in the Rec Tec

Comment

I thank you guys for your input. I will say it's ok to agree to disagree. I know of no manufacturer out there that advocates any mods to their equipment. That is like admitting your machine has flaws. And most manufacturers will void the warranty if you tell them you have done mods to your machine whether it affects that specific component that is weak or not. I know many folks that have Rec Tec's that are left exactly as they got it from the manufacturer and they are very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
                            I would like everyone to keep in mind that Pellet Grills have a lot in common with Gas grills. They need air to flow as designed by the manufacturer to function properly.

Barry you're a clever guy, but I have to agree with Max. I think you're playing with fire with some of these mods.
                            I wonder which mods you think I am playing with fire on??? I have never tried it but, I know of a couple of Rec Tec's that have the Hurd DD Hood that are getting almost 600*F out of them with a Sawtooth Controller and a 2 rpm auger vice the 1.6 rpm auger that is stock. What that says is the DD Hood flows enough air to get it to 600*F. The grills I am talking about had to raise the vent shroud (the little red dunce cap) to get additional airflow for get the higher temps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here