Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new RecTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    replied
    A little update guys. Rec Tec has a new form fit cover. Just got mine in and seems to be top quality and an excellent fit. I'm in Arizona so if our heat won't destroy it, I know you will be good to go.

Leave a comment:

• VTgriller76
    commented on 's reply
    Nice!!! I will have to try the low temp to start and then move it up to 300+

• Quintin "Q"
    replied
    Some poultry pics!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Quintin "Q"
    commented on 's reply
    I start on the smoke setting for atleast half an hour then bump it up to 300 degrees for the rest of the cook. Everything I smoke I start with the lowest setting because pellet cookers just don't have as much smoke flavor as other style cookers.

• VTgriller76
    commented on 's reply
    What temps do you do your chicken & turkey?

• Quintin "Q"
    replied
    Rec tec seems like a very similar model to the Traeger, which I own three of, your gonna love the simplicity. It does really well at higher temperatures also. Hands down the convention style smoker makes the best poultry, chicken turkey etc..., you ever had every time. If your any thing like myself you will be looking for a cold smoke generator in the near future also.

Leave a comment:

• VTgriller76
    replied
    Have a Rec-Tec for one year now. Love it! Used to do all my smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet. So nice to set it and forget it with the temp. I do find that the actual temp inside is 10-15 deg above the setting by using a Maverick to monitor internal temp. Got my pellets from BBQpelletsOnline. Located someone in my area and split a pallet load. Saved a LOT of $$$!!

Leave a comment:

• Rbar
    replied
    A beautiful rig; thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• leftwngr
    replied
    it's a hockey thing not politics

Not sure. I've been having work done on my grilling area out back, so I have had the RT indoors for a while. Will have to figure out something before the rain starts, but being So. Cal. that could be a long time from now.

I've seen some great custom covers, but I'm undecided at this point. What I want and what the wife will allow me to get are often two different things, so time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Welcome LW. I just can't say leftwngr, Thanks for the input and I totally agree. The cover is mediocre at best and probably a lot worse than that. What are you going to replace your with? I am already looking at custom covers and saw a site either listed here or on another grill site for the Rectec.

Leave a comment:

• leftwngr
    replied
    I've had a RT for a ljttle better than a year and thought I would put in my $0.02 The cover is not the most durable one out there. 8 months after getting it, I needed a replacement. It both fades and tore. Overall I am happy with it. It is a great tool for people looking for a pellet grill. I am not a fan of high temp grilling with it though. Tweaks and grill grates are neat and all, but I lean towards having a second grill with fire. The RT is a pellet grill which means it is a smoky oven. I have played with smoke devices to add smoke but I find that changing the pellet blend has a better effect than a smoke tube. Too much smoke can kill the flavor in my opinion. I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. The large hopper is a huge plus for long cooks. As I am sure everyone has mentioned, the best part of the RT is the support the company gives. Great guys and so helpful.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Regliner View Post
    I bought a RT about 2 months ago and my first cook was a brisket. Came out fantastic.

Beautimous!

Leave a comment:

• Regliner
    commented on 's reply
    Marauderer,

First I laughed, then I asked why is it done in the middle and not the outside and to really, really think about that.

• Henrik
    replied
    Regarding getting good smoke in a gas grill; I had a gas grill two years ago, I got a real cheap version to experiment with. We don't have the fancy smoke tubes here, so what I did was to simply put a handful of wood chips (not chunks) in a small aluminum pan, then placed that directly on the grate above the left burner (I had two burners). The right burner was turned off, of course, to get the proper two zone setup. The idea is far from new, and not mine, and you have probably already tried it. I just thought I'd ask/suggest, as it worked really well for me, and I got good strong smoke flavor.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Funny, my sister in law thought a brisket was "burnt", then "undercooked" once I sliced it. She seen the meteorite bark, then the smoke ring. Good BBQ looks quite unappetizing to newbies. She was won over when she tried as everyone is.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here