Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new RecTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the ribs, I ate and ate until I couldn't eat anymore looking for a good one. Didn't find one so we chewed up some more last night. They were even better. I was very happy how they turned out and Towmbo liked them also.

They took about 6 hrs from frozen to passing the Bark test. First three hours at 210*F and then 225*F until done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5966-M.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	16403

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5967-M.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	16404

Comment

Better pics if you can see them.

Attached Files

Comment

Those look GREAT Barry. Lots of effort went into those babies. Congrats man, job well done. I hope you can chill and smoke now!

Comment

Did they taste pretty smokey? Interested to see the flavor difference from the freezer. I have only had food from a pellet cooker once (that I know of anyway) and those were chicken wings, really couldn't taste any smoke because he put on like a crust of black pepper.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I think he said further up the thread that they were faintly smokey, that he's considering the tube smoker add-on next time? Barry correct me if I'm wrong...

What did you use for smoke on your gasser that these were more faint?

Huskee you are correct. They were a little smokey. The next batch I will do exactly the same way but I will be installing some mods on my RecTec and will see what that does. If that doesn't help the following batch I will use the 18" pellet smoker tube with 100% hickory in it and evaluate that.

Comment

I bought a RT about 2 months ago and my first cook was a brisket. Came out fantastic.

Comment

That is a great looking Brisket. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

Comment

• Regliner
                Regliner commented
                Editing a comment
                Your ribs looked pretty good as well. I did ribs last weekend and was pretty tasty

You still happy with your RT?

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Reg, I am very happy with my RecTec!! I am just a tinkering/gadget kinda guy

Pellet grill brisket "smoke" rings, especially the ones I have seen on Yoders, look almost fake they are laid in there so perfectly.

Comment

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Hhmm, you have to be careful with friends in educating them on food. How did you handle the situation?? IMWTK!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Funny, my sister in law thought a brisket was "burnt", then "undercooked" once I sliced it. She seen the meteorite bark, then the smoke ring. Good BBQ looks quite unappetizing to newbies. She was won over when she tried as everyone is.

• Regliner
                Regliner commented
                Editing a comment
                Marauderer,

First I laughed, then I asked why is it done in the middle and not the outside and to really, really think about that.

Regarding getting good smoke in a gas grill; I had a gas grill two years ago, I got a real cheap version to experiment with. We don't have the fancy smoke tubes here, so what I did was to simply put a handful of wood chips (not chunks) in a small aluminum pan, then placed that directly on the grate above the left burner (I had two burners). The right burner was turned off, of course, to get the proper two zone setup. The idea is far from new, and not mine, and you have probably already tried it. I just thought I'd ask/suggest, as it worked really well for me, and I got good strong smoke flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Regliner View Post
                I bought a RT about 2 months ago and my first cook was a brisket. Came out fantastic.

Beautimous!

Comment

I've had a RT for a ljttle better than a year and thought I would put in my $0.02 The cover is not the most durable one out there. 8 months after getting it, I needed a replacement. It both fades and tore. Overall I am happy with it. It is a great tool for people looking for a pellet grill. I am not a fan of high temp grilling with it though. Tweaks and grill grates are neat and all, but I lean towards having a second grill with fire. The RT is a pellet grill which means it is a smoky oven. I have played with smoke devices to add smoke but I find that changing the pellet blend has a better effect than a smoke tube. Too much smoke can kill the flavor in my opinion. I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. The large hopper is a huge plus for long cooks. As I am sure everyone has mentioned, the best part of the RT is the support the company gives. Great guys and so helpful.

Comment

Welcome LW. I just can't say leftwngr, Thanks for the input and I totally agree. The cover is mediocre at best and probably a lot worse than that. What are you going to replace your with? I am already looking at custom covers and saw a site either listed here or on another grill site for the Rectec.

Comment

it's a hockey thing not politics

Not sure. I've been having work done on my grilling area out back, so I have had the RT indoors for a while. Will have to figure out something before the rain starts, but being So. Cal. that could be a long time from now.

I've seen some great custom covers, but I'm undecided at this point. What I want and what the wife will allow me to get are often two different things, so time will tell.

Comment

A beautiful rig; thank you for sharing.

Comment

Have a Rec-Tec for one year now. Love it! Used to do all my smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet. So nice to set it and forget it with the temp. I do find that the actual temp inside is 10-15 deg above the setting by using a Maverick to monitor internal temp. Got my pellets from BBQpelletsOnline. Located someone in my area and split a pallet load. Saved a LOT of $$$!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here