Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new RecTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install the SS Grates.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5928-M.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	15898

The bulb and lens for the box light.

Name:	DSCF5938-M.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	15899

The optional front folding shelf. This had a certain amount of difficulty for me. It did not line up correctly initially but with a bit of massage work it fits great.

Name:	DSCF5931-M.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	15900

Name:	DSCF5933-M.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	15901

Name:	DSCF5932-M.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	15902

Last edited by Marauderer; September 6, 2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Installed the drip bucket.

Name:	DSCF5936-M.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	15550

put some pellets in the hopper

Name:	DSCF5941-M.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	15551

Plugged it in turned on set to 400*F for initial burn in.

Name:	DSCF5940-M.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	15552

When the pellets get going you will initially gets some white smoke.

Name:	DSCF5945-M.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	15553

And within about 5 min it will clear.

Name:	DSCF5946-M.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	15554

I let it burn at least an hour. That cures the powder coating and then it is ready to cook. The manufacturer says a lot of folks cover the drip pan with aluminum foil and I will probably do that before I put on the ribs in the morning.

Comment

There was no RecTec towel in my bundle. I looked it up in their store and for that price I will do without today.

Comment

I got my rec tec this spring and it has been awesome! You will love it and customer support is amazing.

Comment

Thanks Darrel.

Comment

Well, I cranked up the RecTec this morning after installing the Maverick box probe and with the RecTec set on 225*F It stabilized at 223-227*F on the Mav.

Name:	DSCF5957-M.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	15654

I also took it apart after the 1+ hr burn in yesterday and vacuumed out the ashes.

Name:	DSCF5952-M.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	15655

I then reassmbled it and lined the drip tray with foil to facilitate cleaning up afterwards.

Name:	DSCF5951-M.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	15656

Name:	DSCF5953-M.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	15657
              Found a small shop vac down in the shop for vacuuming out ashes.

Name:	DSCF5954-M.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	15658

Anyway reassembled unit, brought up to 225*F and got a couple of slabs of ribs on that I used Huskees Rib Rub on and then froze on sheet pans so I could put on the RecTec frozen and hopefully get a bit more smokey flavor.

Name:	DSCF5961-M.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	15659

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting technique, frozen ribs. Sounds awesome!

I I can't remember where I read it but, for pellet smokers which usually have less smokey flavor putting them on frozen keeps the meat cooler longer so it is suppose to absorb more smoky flavor. I took the ribs and put my HRR on them and left them in the fridge for 48 hrs and then froze them on sheet pans and when frozen but them in a big plastic bag and they have been there since this laswt Monday. It will be interesting to see how they do. It was also recommended for pork butts and they said a 9 lb butt would only take an extra 1.5 hrs on avg for the cooking time. So if you must freeze do all your brining and rubbing before you freeze then just take out of the freezer and onto the grill.

Comment

• hdarrel22
                hdarrel22 commented
                Editing a comment
                I read that too, but I haven't had any problems with getting enough smoke on mine with my rec tec. Nice smoke ring every time. The thing I love is I can put my ribs on at noon, go to work and come home to great ribs.

Holy smokes Barry Your smokin on a smoker. TOO COOL MAN!

Comment

Want more smoke flavor from your pellet pooper? Use an A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (I have the 6" and 12" tubes; they also make an 18", but why?). I use the 100% flavorwood pellets that come in the 1 lb bags from BBQr's Delight. I use the tubes for both cold- and hot-smoking. I can get a couple of hours of smoke from the 6" tube and four or more from the 12" tube. The tubes can withstand high heat, but it's never made any sense to me to use them when grilling. So...I tend to cold-smoke my beef and hot-smoke my pork and chicken. If I'm going to "sous vide" the protein, then I cold-smoke it, whatever it is.

These tubes are great. I passed on the 8" x 8" trays because of the grill space they take up. The tubes solved that problem nicely. I started with the 12" tube, but I wind up using the 6" much more often, so I'd suggest starting with that. Wingman (Rob) has a video review of the 12" tube on his website, if you want to check it out (smokingpit [dot] com).

Note: I use these tubes in my Yoder YS640 and my Weber kettles. I REALLY wish they'd existed when I was cooking on Traeger BBQ125 (the big boy).
                Last edited by Ozric; September 5, 2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oz, I have the 18" tube and used it on my gasser. I am trying this batch from the frozen way and next I will use a smoker tube. It is always great to have options.

• Ozric
                  Ozric commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool. Looking forward to a comparative test (frozen, fresh with tube, fresh).

18"? I'm not hung that well. Sorry. LOL That'd almost get you through an overnight cook!

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At least it will get past where all the smoke can be absorbed.

My drip tray goes commando (no foil).

Comment

No I dont clean it, per say, but I do scrape off the sludge. That stuff will burn and give off bad flavors.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I don'y have any experience with the cleaning of critical parts on a Pellet smoker.

Comment

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ya need to make up a sticky by the grill/smoker that reminds you to clean the top under surface before you fire it up. Thanks for the heads up. I will post how and where I put my sticky. Why reinvent the wheel when you guys have already been there and done that.

• mgaretz
                    mgaretz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Clean it? The whole point of seasoning it is to get it nice and greasy so the ash sticks to it.

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                  Thanks Dave, I don'y have any experience with the cleaning of critical parts on a Pellet smoker.
                  The most aggravating thing about cleaning pellet cookers I think is the carbon buildup. It'll build up on the inside of the hood and come off in flakes all over the food.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same with my offset. Easy to scrape off, but sadly I never think of it until little black flakes end up on my ribs or chicken just from opening/closing the lid....

• mgaretz
                    mgaretz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've never had that happen, but I've only been using pellets about 1.5 years. I have had it happen with my Weber gas grill.

I ordered a gasket kit from BBQgaskets.com for my cover. It fits well but leaks.

Comment

Well how were the ribs?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here