Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Did It. I Ordered a Pellet Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Did It. I Ordered a Pellet Cooker

After agonizing over choosing a Pellet Grill I ordered a Blazin' Grid Iron today. They included a few accessories that made the deal too good to pass up. I am super excited to give Pellet Cooking a go.

Black Grid Iron
    Insulated Lid
    Pellet Dump
    Direct Sear
    2 Extra Shelves
    Meat Probe
    Blazn' Pro Smoker
    Cover

It was down to MAK, Pitts and Spitts and Blazn'. Blazn' was $2k less than the other two and I think will be a good intro into Pellet cooking. I figure if I love Pellets I could sell it and get a MAK. If I hate it I can sell it and get an M Grill.

Congrats on the new cooker OG. Hoping it is a safe and trouble free delivery from Beatrice.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Really!? A Pellet Cooker? You left out a letter! PBC!

I don't see it.........

Congrats!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a fine lookin machine!

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol I still need a PBC!

Fired up my Grid Iron today to 400-F to burn off some residual grease on my grease mat. Running 4 racks of SLC's come 1900hrs.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a great cook! Will be bending your ear for advice soon I am sure
      Last edited by Old Glory; January 1, 2021, 02:50 PM.

Congrats. You will soon be poopin' pellets all over the place.

Comment

just remember the most important thing, wet pellets that re-dry = concrete. Store 'em dry and empty your hopper & auger tube before any lengthy idle periods. I think the Blaz'n lineup looks great and they were towards the top of my list for a while.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Plenty of real estate should be a great cooker. I ordered their smoker tube for added smoke. Will be sure to keep the pellets dry

Looking forward to seeing how you like it. Congrats!

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

Welcome to the pellet cooker club. Like all cookers, they have strong points and weak points. Get to know your new Blazin and its strengths and I am sure you’ll love it.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to learning how to pellet cook

Congratulations. You will enjoy it.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Welcome to the pellet cooker world from a once doubter turned believer.

Comment

Videos on the web site seem dated, but they look like a great value.
        Might be a good choice for an upgrade.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty common with most of these US based smoker companies, MAK, Yoder, Grilla, Pitts, etc... they have alot of dated or campy videos, part of me appreciates that since they are spending their money on production or R&D to make things better, but then you see stuff like Camp Chef when they first released the Woodwinds or RecTec(q) with the fantastic advertising and marketing campaigns and wonder how much better these USA companies would compete

Enjoy your new cooker. Can’t wait to see what you cook on it!

Comment

Good choice!

When will it arrive?

Max Good I wonder why it is not judged yet on the free side.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            6-8 weeks

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            I reached out to Blaz'n years ago and they haven't been responsive. Now everybody and their brother is making pellet smokers and we're buried in requests to test them.

Congratulations! My first pellet cooker was one of the early Original Grillas, made in the U.S. I love it, but they make them in China now, and I needed a little more cooking space in the second one. I also liked the fact that they are made in the U.S. Eventually they will both be in the same location, but for the time being the OG is at our vacation (eventually retirement) home, and the other is at the other place we call home. The Grid Iron is at the other place. I'm a pastor, and when we can have church dinners I smoke enough for a big crowd.

It'sAllGoneToTheDogs mentioned keeping the pellets dry, and I want to second that. My cooker stays outside, with it's cover, and I've never had a problem with the pellets getting wet from the top. Where I did run into a problem is that I had moisture get in through the pellet dump. My guess is that in a driving rain water splattered up and got inside. When the pellets dried, to that concrete consistency, the shear pin on the augur sheared. It did what it was supposed to do, and on Monday when I called Blaz'n they had a couple of shear pins in the mail to me that arrived on Wednesday. Which didn't do me much good on Sunday when it sheared. That's the only problem I've had with it.

A few years ago when we were in the St. Louis BBQ Store (when Blaz'n was using dealers) I had my wife open the lid on a Green Mountain. Then I told her to open the lid on the Grid Iron next to it. Even with the counterbalance she could barely lift it. She could quickly understand the difference in build quality. They are a tank, not quite as heavy as a Yoder, but there are downsides to that much weight, and I think the Blaz'n Grills are a good compromise. BTW, when Blaz'n ended their dealer network I bought that floor model at a good discount.

Enjoy, I don't think you'll be sorry. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have, if I can.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Glad to hear you love your GI. Blazn' ticked all the boxes for me. I am looking forward to trying the pellet game!

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking!

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            I know it is not a MAK but I think the Blazn' will be a great intro to Pellet Cooking for me. I have seen your posts across multiple forums MAK needs to put you on their payroll!

It is not just a stickburner with a hopper bolted on. It was purpose built to be a Pellet Cooker and has a few neat features like a slide out burn pot to dump ashes making cleaning a snap and the insulated lid.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here