Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Process question for those who smoke with a pellet cooker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Process question for those who smoke with a pellet cooker.

I’m starting out big a smoking a Prime Rib for my first cook on my new Pit Boss Pro Series. Played with it last night for a few hours getting it burned in and ready to go. At the moment things are going a little fast for having everything ready @ 6:00. Started at 250 indicated which was 145 on the rack according to my Fireboard, slowed that down to 225, and then to 200. It holds temperature just fine, but I’ve noticed as I move to cooler setting I’m getting a lot of visible smoke.

is that normal, is there a way to avoid that other than turning it back up?
    Last edited by TxF; December 24, 2020, 03:01 PM.

The cooler the temp, the more smoke... that's how pellet grills work in general. As far as cooking fast, Prime Rib generally takes 2.5-3.5 hours at 225 (I think Meathead says 30 minutes per inch of thickness + a little extra). What are you trying to avoid? The smoke? The temp difference between your fireboard and the grills thermocouple? If the latter, put your probe next to the grills thermocouple to make sure they both agree on temp. The cheaper grills usually have adjustments for feedrate that you can adjust (and many suggest changing it with the seasonal weather), the more expensive ones compensate feedrate via the software regardless of external temp. I'd check the pitboss pellet grill FB group if they have one

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      TxF from what I've seen, folks pellet/electronically controlled cookers are much happier when they focus on the internal temp of their meat as opposed to the temp of their grill You don't need wifi, but the problem with 2nd party thermo's is they make you question your cook, you don't question your oven cook, don't use your fireboard to take grate level temps and compare it to the temp setting of the grill and you'll be happy with the result.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry, ran out of room, but it's good to find the hot spots on your cooker and it's good to know the difference between setpoint and the top rack of your cooker to adjust accordingly, but don't stress on those things after you adjust protein positioning as needed.

• TxF
      TxF commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m a firm believer in the Fireboard, there were 2 probes in the roast, This thing is a new toy that and there was a toss up between it or a new Fireboard with a fan for my WSM. This won out because I have to baby sit less with it for long cooks, and I can make jerky in large batches.

The lower temps in pellets grill produce heavier smoke. But they also produce a milder smoke profile at any temp than a stick burner so it should pose no problem.
    No one has ever said nor have I ever thought, wow that's too much smoke, with my Yoder

Comment

Just be careful when you're running your Pellet cooker much below 225. You're getting down into the range of temps where there is an increased chance of flameouts ... especially if it's windy.

Comment

I was mostly worried about smoke that I wouldn’t want to see in the in the middle of a cook on my WSM, if it’s nothing to worry about then I guess it’s fine. I’m a 30min drive from where diner is happening, so once I pull it out it goes into a cooler. I’ll sear it on a gas grill right before we are ready to eat. From looking at too many ‘How to cook the best Prime Rib’ videos I was expecting anywhere from 3 to 6 hrs and went with 6 just incase. The other option was to move the whole thing over to where we are eating witch would have meant I would be getting too close to the 3 hour mark when got I started. I’m usually running late when I’m cooking so this being too early is a new experience.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You don't have to worry about visible smoke on a pellet cooker. They burn extremely efficiently which is why their smoke flavor is so delicate compared to other cookers, that any visible smoke once up to temp and the cook is underway will only be a touch of extra flavor.

Pulled it off @ 119 left it outside where it was in the 50’s until it stopped rising then foiled the plate and stuck it in the cooler. Held @ 124 for 2 hrs then I seared it and it was just about perfect.
        Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great job!!

• Jared49
          Jared49 commented
          Editing a comment
          "Just about perfect", me thinks you might be a tad too critical of your results. But to be sure you should send me some to give you a fair evaluation!! 😳🙄😁

• TxF
          TxF commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to have something to improve on for next time, The meat was cooked just like I wanted, I can do better of the rub and the horseradish sauce.

Very nice ... congrats!

Comment

Sure looks perfect tome! Nice work Pitmaster.

Comment

Mine runs no lower than 150, but I won't run it below 175. I don't like the color of the smoke below that.

Comment

Looks great, I am in Northwest Louisiana send me the address I will be there soon

Comment

WOW, you nailed it, it looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here