Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble finding a smoker that fits my needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can vouch that the Grilla Silverbac Alpha is an awesome machine, great build quality, 692 sq" (if using the upper rack too) and not too pricey for what it is IMO. PBC too, that's the only other one on your short list that I own and operate. The PBC will get you some great flavor...albeit different than a charcoal/wood cooker and different yet from a pellet, of course you know this I'm sure...and pretty good capacity for its small footprint and easy portability. But if nailing a specific temp is your thing, or SIFI (set it forget it) the PBC may not be for you. It does require some fidgeting here and there.

Comment

I have a masterbuilt vertical smoker/ grill I use it only as a smoker and holds temp fantastic. I have owned Traeger pitboss Weber napoilian oaklahoma Joe and camp chief. In these brands electric pellet charcoal and stick burning. They all have there ups and downs you need to figure out what you want? My preference is stick a little more work but well worth it my next love is charcoal I also have a ceramic cooker as well fantastic,and for the pellet next simple but lacks in flavor of real BBQ in my opinion, any for electric smoker works well but most of them are small units. I hope some of my insight will help you out

Happy bbqing
      Marc

Comment

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your thoughts! I need to find someone who has a charcoal smoker to test if I think the different flavor profiles.

The 1 star actually has a ton of space, and it's all usable. While you won't get a whole hog on it because of horizontal space, you can get 8-12 pork butts on it with the second rack. I don't know about cleaning/maintenance, I have a 2 star.... almost everything on your list is a good smoker that will last a while, a few of the ones on your list will likely last a lifetime. The 1 star does come standard with the 2 stars flamezone now so you can grill pretty good straight out of the box across the entire grate unlike some of the pellet cookers on your list.

The FE Cookshack always intrigues me, but it's zone based cooking and the only reason I passed over it. It's probably the best value stainless pellet grill on the market.

Lots of Grilla owners on here and the majority of them are very happy with their cookers.

Comment

If you are happy with your high temp cooker, the SmokeFire probably isn’t the best dedicated LnS pellet grill. It’s versatility is what makes it great. If it’s in the budget, I’d take Pitts and Spitts, Yoder, MAK or Smokin Bros over the rest because they are just better made, thicker steel, US made, etc. I was very impressed with the P&S I saw. It’s was what Recteq, Traeger, and Camp Chef should be built like. The PG500 is essentially 4 small grills inside 1 HUGE box, if vast smoking space is what you want, you won’t like it. If you want to cook 4 things that each go best at different temps it would be sweet.

Out of the cheaper brands, I like CampChef. I think Grilla and Recteq make good pits too.

Comment

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        The variance between the different racks is huge. The same size piece of meat would take a couple hours longer on different racks. Also one piece would drip on another below.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I was referring to horizontal smokers not vertical since that was what you had mostly asked for info on outside the XXL. Side to side would be the equivalent of what you’re describing on your current vertical. Swings up and down would be in regard to PID vs non PID.
        Last edited by glitchy; October 14, 2020, 07:36 PM.

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oohh interesting, I missed what you were saying. That makes complete sense.

For set and forget completely for 8-12 hours At 225 and easy reloading during the cook (Open hopper, toss in more coals) I’m liking the mb1050 gravity (basically a charcoal pellet smoker.). It has some build quality issues that I easily dealt with (hopper switch) and have done many dozen of cooks in it from 225 to 650F grilling with varied amounts of wood mixed in the hopper.

apart from the switches, easily bypassed, the build is fair for the cost. If you want something easy and fun that will probably go at least 5 years, I’d check it out. I haven’t used anything else to cook outside in months and I’ve got a lot of "else".

Comment

I ended up making a decision on a smoker! All your input was invaluable. To help the next person making a choice, I am going to do another post with a write up on how I thought through the process and what lead me to getting the Camp Chef Vertical over the other options.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear it! Looking forward to your updates. Congrats and happy smoking!

"Traeger Timberline 850 Grill - Traeger's rep seems to have taken a huge hit." Yep, made over seas.
        AS I google grill vs grill reviews I have noticed that pellet grills do not compare their grills to Traeger's Ironwood or Timberline.
        To me that says a lot without words.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here