Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok. Making a Purchase tomorrow...Vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Making a Purchase tomorrow...Vote!

Traeger Pro Series 22
    Camp Chef ZG
    Pit Boss 820

Help a newb out!

Lone Star Grillz!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh hell Yeah. If you have the $$
      But it hasn’t been released yet.

Grilla Silver back or original.

Comment

I wish ya great luck, an happiness with which ever one ya purchase, but cain't be of no assist in yer choosin...

No pellet experience, sorry...

I'm certain there'll be lotsa experienced folks that will weigh in.

Comment

Weber SmokeFire.

Out of your choices, the Camp Chef hands down. Traeger has gone downhill with their support and is pretty stingy on features in the Pro 22. IMO, Pit Boss is fairly low quality. I’ve seen countless displays broken in stores and my brother bought one against my advice and gave up on it after a couple months (and spending money on 3rd party mods I helped him find to try to fix its issues) and bought a Camp Chef.

If you can bump the budget a bit, the CampChef SG 24 WiFi or WoodWind WiFi will probably make you happier for longer. Even if you don’t care about WiFi, I believe both of these models will have a bigger and better shaped hopper, adjustable smoke settings, and a taller cooking chamber that will allow you to put taller food on main grate when using the upper grate or have more room to reach the wings on the back rear if you loaded the whole grill up with wings for game day.
      Last edited by glitchy; October 9, 2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        No. Just double check on the ability to add a Sear Box down the road.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        JPatrickRemiger No, I think it would be OK. I had an STX and a Woodwind Wifi. Both were fine grills. The Woodwind is worth the price difference, but the STX was just fine. I think the ZG would be a nice grill if it fits your budget best.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I read ithe ZG a mix between the older shorter style barrel with the Slide n Grill added. I doubt they lowered quality at all.

PBC!

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
        JPatrickRemiger commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC?

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Pit Barrel Cooker!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of us knew that was coming. LOL

I’ve owned a Traeger Pro Series 22 for 3 years and absolutely love it. It has been very reliable with zero issues since owning it. I take good care of it and clean it after almost all cooks. It doesn’t get heavy use since I have a BGE, PK360, Weber Summit and a Texas Original Pit that get their fair share of the cooks. However, I just took a pork butt off the Traeger and it smells amazing. That’s the bottom line for me, the food comes out great.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had 4 Traegers and the older Pro styles are not bad grills. Better than the new D2 for final results. They just don’t compete feature and price wise having no pellet dump, ash clean out, probes, etc. If Traeger was the only name in town still, I’d take a Pro 22 with a Fireboard over their new D2 lines. Others just offer so much more for less and when Traeger catered to the "oh no my grill went 30 degrees above or below" crowd they gave up smoke flavor to shut them up with the new PIDs.

• dshaffes
        dshaffes commented
        Editing a comment
        My Pro 22 has a pellet dump and 2 probes on the controller. They still sell the Gen 1 Pro 22 on their website.

The only pellet cooker I’ve ever seen in action is my father’s Traeger... So little to no experience. That said, everyone I know that has one really like them. They range from Traeger, GMG, & Pit Boss... Lots of pellet people around here, so I’m sure they’ll offer decent advice. In the meantime, I’d be checking out the reviews on the free side and taking notes.

Comment

I personally recommend a Weber Smokefire. Go and read glitchy ‘s thread for why.

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
          Editing a comment
          As much as I’d love a Weber they’re way out my price range

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Then I’d second a Camp Chef especially if you can spring for a Sear Box down the line as an add on.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Or the SideKick as it’s more versatile. I have a SearBox, and it works fine for its namesake, it will reverse sear a Steak well.

What about a green mountain grill? They are in your price range too. Out of the three you are looking at I would go with the camp chef or traeger

Comment

Camp chef

Comment

I have been using a Camp Chef DLX 24 two to four days a week for a couple of years now, and I'm very happy with it. If mine got stolen today, I would not hesitate to order another Camp Chef tomorrow. The DZ looks to be a darned near twin to the DLX, but with a couple of minor tweaks and the new controller.

What you need to understand is that the pellet smoker market is very competitive, and once you crack the five or six hundred dollar price point, you are not likely to find any that are really inferior. Each will have it's own pluses and minuses, but as long as you go with a known brand, you are going to end up with a smoker that will cook BBQ. When you start going up in price, what you are getting is thicker metal, and heaver construction. Those things will certainly extend the life of the cooker, but in my opinion, won't make the food you cook on it any better or worse. That's my two cents. Good luck with your decision! I can't wait to see some pics of the cooks off of whatever you get.

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! More awesome input

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you have to jump to $1500 plus to really get into the thicker/better construction. From past experience, I’d say stay below that and buy another in 5-10 years as the technology just keeps advancing in the pellet grill market. Not too many manufacturers offer kits to retrofit 10 year old grills with the new features. 10 years ago, the CookShack was about the only pellet grill that seared anything well, now we have a few, 10 years from now I’ll bet there will be tons.

Originally posted by JPatrickRemiger View Post
            Traeger Pro Series 22
            Camp Chef ZG
            Pit Boss 820

Help a newb out!
            Of those 3, I would probably go for Camp Chef myself.

Comment

I agree with others, of the 3 choices I’d go with Camp Chef too.

Comment

I think the Camp Chef also! Have fun deciding!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here