Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit-Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit-Boss

The lack of Pit Boss Reviews on the site leads me to believe that they’re sub-optimal. Is that right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	F055017F-AAB5-4DE5-97B8-672543753F4A.jpeg
Views:	550
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	920912

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
      JPatrickRemiger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...not sure how the hell I missed that

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      The only way to find something is to look where it is.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I filtered for "Pit Boss" only. If you pick too many other filters you will probably miss the reviews.

I just did a review on one and I was pretty happy with it.

Check it out here. If you are curious.

Comment

We like Pit Boss. Parent company, Dansons who also make Louisiana Grills, started Pit Boss to provide entry priced cookers and they have done a mighty good job of balancing quality and price.
      Last edited by Max Good; October 9, 2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Max. I am not wanting to break the bank, like with a Traeger, and Lowes has a 4 Series Vertical available for $399 which seem like a good deal. Lot's of positive reviews on the Lowes site but also some clunkers. Just want to be happy with what I get.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Danson who also makes the Pellet grill with Cabala's brand, I have one. works fine, last long time. It has a window, which is fine, but best to clean before or after each cook. Not a big deal.

I am looking at the Pit Boss Navigator series. They look great, but it is hard to find reviews and they have so many different models. How in the world do you tell the difference, haha.

Comment

• JPatrickRemiger
        Editing a comment
        Literally, the reviews for every Pit Boss smoker are 50% Awesome or 50% horrendous. So are people using improperly or are they POS

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar that what you are seeing is 50% of the people took the time to learn how to use the smoker correctly, and 50% that can't figure out why after watching most of two YouTube videos, the first brisket they ever made wasn't the most amazing piece of meat they have ever eaten.

Yah, I am completely confused as to whether they are amazing or a terrible waste.... having some serious decision paralysis haha

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        They re a good deal, but you do sacrifice quality.

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        People that can make good bbq can make good bbq on a Pit Boss. They won't last forever and they are not full of stainless steel but I know plenty of real bbq'ers that like their Pit Boss.

I have a friend that has a Pit Boss and he & his wife absolutely love it. He uses it every chance he gets...everything from ribs, to poultry, to veggies, to seafood...to chuckies.

Comment

The pit boss series 7 vertical smoker was my 1st pellet smoker and I love it, use it more than my more expensive smokers. It has a ton of room and I like that it is a water smoker,fluctuates about 5-10 degrees. Bought my son an 820 three years ago and he has had no problems, Yes they are cheaper and more lightly built but they put out good bbqm

Comment

• jasoncross11
          jasoncross11 commented
          Editing a comment
          How accurate is the temp across the racks? Mine is all over the place and I bought it in May. If I set it to 225, it runs at 210 next to the meat on the lower racks and worse up top.

• Northern lights smoke
          Northern lights smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          When the water pan is cold I only have about 10*fluctuation bottom to top running at 225, when the water is hot,the lower racks are 15-20 bottom to top, but it is consistent, i normally don't use bottom rack. i use this one for shorter cooks like ribs, chicken etc.

• jasoncross11
          jasoncross11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting, thanks for your thoughts and info! My problem was that my Louisana Series 7 doesn't get to 225 degrees reliably. If I set to 225, it hovers around 210. If I set to 250, it jumps to 250 to 260. I am failing to find the "sweet" spot.

I have a Pit Boss and I love it. I started with it because I didn’t want to blow a huge load on a pellet and then hate it. It took a little time to get used to, but it’s my go to now. I’m into mine for about 500ish.

Comment

• jasoncross11
          jasoncross11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Which model do you have?

Click image for larger version

Name:	43F22514-DDD7-4F34-BCA6-2BDDBB6A9A66.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	922617 These are ribs made on a pit boss
        Attached Files

Comment

• jasoncross11
          jasoncross11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmmm, the picture isn't clear enough. I need to stop by Brainerd to get a better view

I just picked up a Pit Boss Series 4 from Lowes and was skeptical of them for the longest time. My MES 30 died and wanted a replacement, so figured for the cost could try it out. I did the first smoke with a rack of ribs and was pleasantly surprised. I Set at 225 but ended up at 250 as the ambient probe I had under the ribs was reading lower than the PB probe. The ribs were at midway in the smoker so figured this was due to the distance from the fire. The water pan is needed to keep temp fluctuations at a min. I saw a +/- of around 5/10 degrees. Ran for 6 hrs doing 3-2-1 Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_191314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	926862Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_192951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	926863

Smoke flavor was good.. You would get more smoke when pellets were feeding, but most of time had a nice thin blue when stable. May look into a pellet tube later.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NCSmokin; October 20, 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

just saw this......https://www.engadget.com/pit-boss-pr...164606414.html

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaAnn View Post
          Would be nice if they offered that as a part you can upgrade to.

Comment

On the temp variations... isn't that a think with vertical smokers unless they have some active fan to circulate air? I mean.. heat rises so I'm not surprised to see the top being warmer than the bottom.

Comment

My take is learn your pit. I’d take a eBay Camp Chef old model over a Pit Boss personally, but there’s no doubt you can cook great food on a Pit Boss or a Z-Grill just like on a Weber or MAK. The differences in brands is more about reliability/longevity and temperature stability than just about anything else, IMO. A few produce more smoke flavor than others due to design and controller differences, but a lot of pellet grills perform very similarly in terms of end results. I’ve had numerous pellet grills with the large drip trays and side grease buckets and the differences were more features and sizes than cooking results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here