Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitts an Spitts, Yoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitts an Spitts, Yoder

I've narrowed down my choice to either the P&S 850 or the Yoder 640. Both dealers are within a couple of hours, my nearest stop light is 72 miles away so everything is hike. I've cooked on the Yoder and was gonna get it but after looking at the P&S I'm torn. I have a GMG and PB and both died on me in the last month so wanting to step up in the world. I've read the reviews already on both. Anyone have experience with both and input on them?

No experience with either but the Pitts and Spitts smokers have always caught my eye. I have seen them in a shop and they feel much more sturdy than Traeger and the like. I don't think I have ever seen a Yoder in person but I would assume they are great as well. Never heard anything bad about either.

Comment

I got to be up close and personal with a Yoder YS-640 last year...they are built like a tank. It turned out some really good 'Q too! But P&S have always looked good...I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. I have the older style Yoder 640 and cannot say enough good things about it. It is well built and does the job for me. My one complaint, if it can be labeled a complaint, is that the diffuser with a door was not standard when I bought mine 3+ years ago. Maybe that has changed. That door makes cleaning the firebox a breeze and also allows you to easily sear directly over the flames. That said, I have read many good report from Pitts an Spits owner. You will be happy with either choice.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            ditto above. Doesn't Troutman have a P&S?
            Last edited by ofelles; September 5, 2020, 10:05 AM.

I have an older Yoder and it is a tank. My son has a newer one with the FireBoard and it is really cool. Never seen a P&P but from what I've seen they look like an excellent cooker. I'm with you on many of the other pellet cookers they just feel flimsy, I know they cook great food but there is something about opening the lid on a substantial pit that is very satisfying.
          Last edited by hogdog6; September 7, 2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I hope you stick around. I'm interested in this thread but don't have experience with either of these cookers. I like to be looking for my next pellet grill so I know what I want when the current one dies.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the Pitts and Spitts 1250 today. The best thing was the place I got it talking to the dealer. He had a Yoder then sold it after 6 months to get the 1250. He never said anything bad about the Yoder just there were things that the P&S overcame. Gotta respect that. There are now 3 things that test a marriage. Kids, docking a boat and unloading your new smoker
              Attached Files

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
                KarchyBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Would love to hear your thoughts on this cooker! I’m driving from FL to DC after thanksgiving and stopping at a dealer on the way to take a look. If there’s a Black Friday sale I may just pull the trigger.

Ok now let’s get smokin! 😎

Comment

Nice, let us see/know how it works for you. I have heard nothing but good about them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here