Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit-Boss 1100 Pro Series Grill Grate Notes And Stainless Steel Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit-Boss 1100 Pro Series Grill Grate Notes And Stainless Steel Alternative

Hi all.

As an owner of the Pit-Boss 1100 Pro Series pellet smoker for less than a year, I have already experienced the dreaded cracked grill grate issue. However, Pit-Boss Support is sending me new grates (two-grate set). Kudos to Pit-Boss!

Note 1:
    In filing a case with Pit-Boss, I discovered that they changed their main grate layout for this smoker. Instead of three grate sections (each 11 3/4 inch wide by 19 1/2 inch deep), there are now just two (each 16 7/8 inch wide by 19 1/2 inch deep) and they claim that they are bigger, hotter, and heavier. However, the total horizontal distance of the new two-grate set is shorter than the original three-grate set by 1 1/2 inches. I'm not sure why.

Note 2:
    While porcelain coated cast iron grates are great, I'm more used to using stainless steel grates. They don't rust, and I find that food slides more easily on the non-crosshatched bars. For those looking for an inexpensive way to acquire stainless steel grates, I found that the Weber Genesis 300 uses stainless steel grates (Model 17528) that are fairly close to the grate measurements of the Pit-Boss 1100. They come two to a set, and each grate is 12.84 inches wide by 19.5 inches deep (depth the same as Pit-Boss). If you get two sets so you can have a third grate, 12.84 x 3 = 38.52 inches. If the total width of the stock Pit-Boss three-grate porcelain coated cast iron set is 35.25 inches, the three combined stainless steel grates exceed the width by 3.27 inches. This means that you would need to cut off 3 1/4 inches from the side of one of the stainless steel grates so that they can fit horizontally into the Pit-Boss 1100. I'm trying this solution, and I'll report back once the project is completed.

I hope the above information helps those looking for an efficient stainless steel solution.

Take care.
    -Z
    Last edited by zx11ninja; July 27, 2020, 10:36 PM.

Weird. I bought a set of these last night to use as a lower shelf on a different cooker. If you haven't bought yet, there is a single panel available (new) on ebay so you wouldn't have an extra lying about. Priced accordingly.
    Search "Weber 7528"

Comment

Greetings all.

Well, I'm reporting back on a successful stainless steel grate project for my Pit-Boss 1100 Pro Series smoker. Unclebob, thanks for the heads-up on the Weber 7528.

I ended up buying the following on Amazon:

I bought two. Including tax, I paid just under $134.

With the stainless steel bars running vertically, the first two grates fit without any modification. To fit in the third grate, I had to remove the rightmost six vertical bars by cutting their three horizontal support bars. When cutting the bars, you must cut them as close to the remaining end bar. This will lead to a perfectly fitting third grate.

Before using the grates, I took some sandpaper to sand down the three sharp edges that were left after cutting the horizontal bars. Also, I positioned the third grate so that the cut edge will always be against the right wall of the smoker chamber. In this manner, no food should ever come in contact with it.

I just used the grates to day after handwashing them and then running them through the dishwasher. Needless to say, they worked perfectly.

I hope the above information helps any future people who read this.

Take care.
      -Z

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here