Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MB Gravity Series or Pellet Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpietrantone
    replied
    So today is the first cook on my WSM 22 with the pit viper. It was maintaining 250 really well for the first couple hours then jumped up over 275 pushing 280. I have closed the damper on the pit viper partially and slightly closed the top vent to bring the temp back down. I'm sure it's because it's the first cook.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    replied
    I bit the bullet and got a 22.5 inch WSM ordered with a DIGIq controller and pit viper blower. I think this will provide me with exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

Can't wait to get cooking on it! Ended up having $300 in Lowe's gift cards sitting in the cabinet and got the smoker for $439. Think I ended up with a good deal.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve never really looked at WSMs or PBCs for that matter. I’m tall and have some back issues, do the things that cook at ground level have been easy to look right over. I also like cookers that can do more than just one thing, I usually lean towards those that grill too. Those are definitely just personal preferences. Lots of people love them and make great food on WSMs. I will say anything you can find insulated will run longer hands off the without, but you don’t have a much cold to deal with.

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    glitchy I'm just outside of Chattanooga, TN. I have looked on those types of websites but have only really found junk that people want too much for or nice setups that they want almost the same as new.

What's your thoughts on a Weber smoky mountain or some type of drum? With the controller would those be pretty set and forget?

The issues with holding heat real well in the offset has me concerned that the controller may not work too well. It cranks out great food, but you really have to work.

• glitchy
    replied
    jpietrantone Where are you located? Have you checked FB marketplace or Craigslist for any used cookers like a Weber Summit Charcoal or Ceramic Kamado grills? A lot of us run ATC’s on them, but you can lock them in pretty tight for hours without anything and always add that later. There’s also the Broil King Keg too. There’s a million options out there many of which might be considerably more hands off than your current rig.

Which dyna glow do you have? If you need the pit bull, it must be designed to move a lot of air through it. Is it like a barrel style offset?
    Last edited by glitchy; July 23, 2020, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    glitchy Thanks for the advice! I think that's what I'm going to do. I personally hate the basket that came with my smoker and this one will fit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3RRI15..._1nCgFb5K4HVN8

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    Rod, I have already contacted bbq gurus and they have provided me with the equipment listing that I would need already. It needs the pit bull instead of the pit viper. Anyone have experience with DynaQ, UltraQ or DigiQ controllers? I'm assuming the Ultra may be comparable to a Fireboard?

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'd have to measure your existing basket, but there's a link to bars I ordered for my OKJ when I had it.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    If you don't like it, you can still transfer the Fireboard and fan to a 22" kettle, a 26" kettle, a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill (my favorite), or a Kamado like SnS Kamado, Kamado Joe, etc. The Kamado style grills will get you more burn efficiency on long cooks reducing the need for potential refueling. If you find that to be a problem.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    jpietrantone I think all you can do is try it. You can get a Fireboard 2 Drive, Pit Viper Fan, whatever adapter you need for your smoker, and the minion basket (though you can buy just bars on Amazon that may work in your existing basket, you'd just have to measure). You also might be able to get the Fireboard fan instead of the Pit Viper if you can connect it somehow without the adapter.
    Last edited by glitchy; July 23, 2020, 11:01 AM.

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    jpietrantone No apologies necessary. That's what The Pit is here for. I can't speak to your question about your offset as I have no first hand experience. BBQ Guru does have different size fans. The Pit Viper I believe is the medium size fan and plenty for kettles. I think their larger one is for bigger cookers like offsets. Maybe post that question in the Log Burner sub channel? No doubt you will get the appropriate response.

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    Rod, what's your thoughts on adding the bbq guru and fireboard to my Dyna Glo Wide Vertical Offset and adding a lavalock minion basket? Any idea if this would be a good setup. glitchy may have been saying this earlier too and I just didn't understand. Sorry guys, I have no experience with mods.

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    jpietrantone They don't make the DnG for the 26 anymore. They say you can just use the one for the 22. However, I prefer just putting foil down on my 26. That covers the entire portion of that part of the grate to help direct air flow from the fan.

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks a million Rod. I really appreciate the link to the detailed write-up. I can just hear my wife screaming about yet another charcoal kettle as I also have a 22. I just think I would like the additional space of the 26. I don't see the DNG part listed on the SnS website for the 26. Is that piece needed? What do you use it for exactly?

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Compelling argument $$ wise. It is easy to discount the MB as junk if you can afford (and are willing to pay) for the high end models. IMHO there certainly are advantages to them longevity wise. The lower cost cookers provide an entry level way to enjoy the units and not have to sell the kids or piss off SWMBO.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis