Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seven series louisiana grill vertical smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seven series louisiana grill vertical smoker

Any one out there have a seven series vertical? Im curious about other users. Mine bats 50/50. Im pretty obsessed with cleaning temp probe, vacuuming fire pit, keeping pellets dry. Have tried almost every pellet out there. Also use amazing tubes for extra smoke. Noticed mine on smoke mode runs 160 to 180. Pretty accurate on two different thermos from 200 -225, then all hell breaks lose. 250 and up ,,,,,,,,total gamble. Never the same twice. Adjust chimney cap to get close at desired setting,,,,,only to have something crazy happen the next time. Major bummer cuz the square footage and set up is great. When it works right, tons of smoke, even temps great food. When it goes into crazy mode, can do 75 degree swings with no smoke. Have seen a few mods out there, but curious if there is something simpler. I know its not a top of the line smoker, but when its on point,,,,,,its really good. Just curious if anyone else has one, and can share their real world views.

I, too, have the series 7 vertical smoker from Costco. I love the concept and I've cooked a few brisket, ribs and shoulder/butts with great success.

HOWEVER, it does have some issues.
    • It has "run-away" twice. 1st time the auger just starting moving pellets and wouldn't stop until I unplugged it. 2nd time Temp went up to 365° with smoke coming from the pellet hopper. I think the hopper ran low which allowed pellets to burn up the auger tube. I got 2 or 3 inches of burning pellets from the auger. Worked great after a refill.
    •Temps fluctuate about 20-30° and is not accurate. My preferred temp. is 225°. I need to set the thermostat @250° to get 235-240°. If I set to 225°, temp will be below 200° on the low side of the temp. flucation, and maybe hit 218° on the highside.

Comment

• FlipperPhilsy
      FlipperPhilsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive never had a run away,,,,,yet. We have similiar temp swings. A couple things i have learned though,,, remove the factory water pan and put a big disposable one in. It really increases the actual temp inside. Only good at smoke setting or 175, if you target 225-250. Also, i did a mod that pleased the beast (my wife), and actually made the smoker more predictable. Just need a few minutes to down load

To be fair to my wife, you could hardly run the smoker with the windows or screen door open. To keep the peace (and keep that loven feeling, instead of ice dagger stares when i cook), i added a chimney.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rotational cap. Can turn it down so rain dont get in
      Attached Files

Comment

End result. Chimney makes actual temps even lower then before, buuuuuuuuuttttttt, with the big dispoable water pan, that i never need to refill, 250 on the knob is 235-260 actual. 225 knob is finally 215-230. Thats been consistant with both kingsford and pitboss pellets.

Comment

Like the water pan idea. The chimney, too. I'll try them next cook. I'm going to install a sheet metal shelf (about 3/4" deep x 8" wide) to direct heat way from the thermostat probe

Comment

Let me know how that works. I was working on moving the probe, but accidentally figured this out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here