Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin Brotbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin Brotbers

Hi.
    First post/question. Anyone have any experience with the Smokin Brothers Premier Plus line of pellet smokers?
    Looking for my first pellet smoker and am looking at a Original Grilla but ran across this brand. They seem interesting. Looking for suggestions based on the following requirements:
    Use in Minnesota year around
    Do not need a ton of cooking space, primarily used for 1 to 3 people.
    Easier cleanup
    Not a huge gadget guy, simple that works is more my style.
    USA made if possible.
    I have a Weber gas grill, primary charcoal grill is a Real old school Portable Kitchen (Tyler, Texas model) 18" WSM and to many Weber kettles to mention.
    Budget $1500 , a little more if needed.
    Open to all suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Torgy

Welcome from Colorado ... and here's some info for you: https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re..._target_id=486

Comment

Welcome from southern Minnesota. The Original Grilla has some dedicated followers on The Pit. It sounds like a good one to buy for your needs. I've had a pellet grill for several years and understand your winter use. In my experience if you get out of the wind it helps a lot during the winter. Good luck with your purchase!

Comment

I have had a smokin brothers grill for about 8 years. Started out with a traditional 30", which I gave to my dad, and then upgraded to a 36" premier. It is a great grill/smoker and is totally made in missouri. I have never had any problems with either model and they produce a great results when smoking or grilling. The premier would be better in Minnesota because it has a insulated lower body. I have smoked in 15 degree weather and had no problem with it and didn't use to many pellets. If you are just cooking for 1 to 3 people then the Premier plus 24" would probably do. The plus line has a upgraded shelves and stainless steel door on the hopper. Check out there youtube page there is quite a few videos about there product. Here is a video on there manufacturing.

https://www.facebook.com/23529131983...3522502025432/
        Last edited by tpobst; July 16, 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help...

Comment

Welcome. I also do not have a pellet pooper. yet

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              As much as I know I don't need one...…..one can never say never around here. ofelles

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP Don't we all know it!!
              Last edited by ofelles; July 16, 2020, 07:35 PM.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              As much as I know I don't need one...…..one can never say never around here.
              True dat!

Welcome from the California Delta. I have a Yoder YS640 and love it.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. I’ve had a lot of pellet grills but no Smokin Brothers. Honestly, I didn’t realize they were made in Missouri or I would have looked closer at them. Depending on how important the made in USA is to you and if you want to primarily do low and low or grill too really pushes your decision. For affordable and mostly smoking the Camp Chef Woodwind or Slide and Grill models are nice. I’ve had two Camp Chefs out of 10 poopers and have zero complaints about either of them outside of looks. They are made in China though. They make an insulated cover for winter and have interesting accessories like the SearBox and Sidekick.

Mak are made in USA and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a disgruntled Mak owner even though I’m sure there has to be at least one somewhere.

Depending on what all you’d like to do with it, there’s a company called BBQ Hack that make a pellet grill Griddle Hack too. They support a lot of different pellet grills, but if it interests you you might want to check their supported grills and factor that into your decision.

My personal experiences would lead me to say avoid GMG, Traeger, and Pit Boss. In my experience they are lower performing or less reliable than others. Blaz’n and Yoder are the other couple US brands that come to mind, Most of their customers seem happy, but have seen several owners move over to Mak and have even seen a couple Blazn owners go RecTec.
              Last edited by glitchy; July 16, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                There's been a small handful of disgruntled MAK owners, but usually either MAK made it right, or they were just never going to be happy with a pellet smokers smoke profile.

Sorry, I have a terrible sinus headache today so not thinking optimally. I forgot my other pellet grill, Weber SmokeFire. It is assembled in the USA (from local and foreign parts) and is a really nice grill, it’s just new to the market and some issues are being worked out. For smoking, it’s now recommended to use drip pans under greasy meats. It’s also unclear how it’s going to perform in the cold. It came out in February and there were a lot more reported issues when it was cold, hard to say if it was weather or bugs getting worked out.

As well, I forgot Pitts and Spitts. It looks like a US built tank. If I was looking for a premium US made pellet grill my first two looks would be Mak and P&S. The Maverick 850 is at least close to your price range.
              Last edited by glitchy; July 16, 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Howdy from Texas. Welcome to The Pit!

I have zero knowledge about pellet poopers. But Ive gotten both my cookers based on recommendations from here and been very happy

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, the responses and the link. I used a pellet cooker for the first time last night and cooked/smoked a chunk of venison backstrap . It did a really nice job. Smoked at 225 degrees until meat temp was 125 than seared off in cast iron. The smoke flavor was light but nice. I was curious and ran some extra probes for smoker temperature, did notice a fair difference from one end of smoker to the other. Good experience overall, search continues. Thanks again.
                  Torgy

Comment

I have Had a Rec Tec Bull for a little over a year now. It is my first pellet cooker. People sometimes feel that pellet cookers don’t produce enough smoke flavor. But frankly, that’s one of the things I like about it. The smoke flavor is light and even allowing the flavor of the meat to shine through. Regardless of which one you pick, if you liked the lighter smoke flavor, and want the convenience and versatility of this type of cooker, you will most likely be happy. Good luck and let us know where you land!

Comment

I am still getting the feel of my Fast Eddy PG500. So far it absolutely blows my Memphis Pro away.PG500 is within your price range, and definitely worth checking out.

Comment

Welcome from NE Florida!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here