Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real world pellet consumption on Louisiana Grills L900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real world pellet consumption on Louisiana Grills L900

The L900 only has a 14 lb hopper and the forced air system tends to be a little pellet thirsty as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have real world pellet consumption data on the LG L900?

I stumbled on this site: https://louisiana-grills.com/beyond-...a-pellet-grill where they say at < 250 F the L900 consumes about
    2 lbs/ hr. Does anyone have experience with this grill to say if this is realistic or not?

My concern is I want to start a >/= 12 hr pork butt smoke starting w/ 2 hr @180F then moving up to 225F for the rest of the cook. My hope is to put the butts on around 9PM then top off the 14 lb hopper just before I go to bed and then get up early to refill.

Here are my conditions: Live in Seattle WA so it ain't gonna get hot. Night temps in the low mid 50's with a bit of a breeze (smoker in a pretty protected nook) I have a LG thermal blanket on the grill which should help w/ heat loss.

Any info would be appreciated.

MG

They also say 4lbs per hour for over 350*. That’s a lot from my experience with my Rec Tec. RT says 1lbs per hour for 225 and up to 2 lbs per hour for hot and fast. But I think it is even less than that at 225.

Comment

Take about 4 lb/hr to the bank for 350F. The L900 can suck down a huge amount of pellets at high temps. Pretty much the reason I start the fire and let it get to temp w/ the Louisiana Grills pellets then go to Cookin' Pellets for the actual cook. and the LG pellets if I crutch the meat since the smoke is not an issue when wrapped.

Why? I got a deal on LG pellets.

It is what I got so looking for another LG user with for some insight on real numbers.

All things considered I probably should have bit the bullet and gone w/ a RecTec in the beginning as the "deal" at Costco was maybe not a deal.

Comment

MauleGuy Why are we talking the 350 hot and fast number if you are doing low and slow at 225?

Most pellet smokers use about 1 pound per hour at 225. Even if the LG uses twice that, let's say 2 pounds per hour, that gives you 7 hours. Just top if off before bed, and get up a little early to check it. Do you have a remote thermometer like the Smoke, Fireboard or Maverick? If so, just setup to monitor the pit temp, and if it starts falling, an alarm will go off and wake you up to go add pellets.

Comment

Thanx jfmorris .

Figured to put meat on about 9PM then just before I hit the rack, top up the hopper. Get up a bit early and top 'er up again.

BTW, I spent quite a bit of time in Huntsville between sales calls there when working out of Atlanta (IBM, MSFC, etc.) then company I went with later had a factory there (Micromedic Systems div. Rohm & Haas) and was there a couple times a year for meetings and product stuff. Really liked it. Large enough to have everything but still small town'ish when last I was there.

When I initially went there I was amazed at there were a couple or three really good German restaurants. Had to keep our German rocket scientists happy.

Cheers.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks - I like it here. I came here from Atlanta (Marietta) on January 2, 1989 for a job, and other than 2 years 1994-96 back in Georgia, have been here ever since. It has all the large town amenities without the large town traffic. I laugh at folks here when they whine about traffic.

These days we are covered up with breweries and brew pubs - must be a dozen around here, which is a lot for a town this size. I think we still have 3 German restaurants I can think of.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            You plan on the pellet refills is sound - that is basically what I do when I smoke on my Weber Performer with charcoal in the Slow 'N Sear overnight. Start mid evening, top up at 11pm, then get up at 6 or 7 and its usually about ready for more fuel.

Ok getting about done w/ the Pork Shoulder cook in my LG L900.

Stats: Put Shoulders (total ~ 16 lb one somewhat smaller than other) on fat side down about 9PM last night at 180 F, then turned up temp to 225 F at 11PM, went to bed and at 5AM had about 1/3 hopper left. Refilled hopper and went from there.

Put larger of butts on right and smaller on left.

Took of larger but at about 12:45PM today at 203F and moved the smaller butt from the left to the middle of grate. No crutch.

The one I took off and was falling apart when I moved it to tray for pulling. Nice bark and good smoke ring.

The smaller butt came off at 4:15 PM at 203 F. Also falling apart when moved to pulling bin.

Both taste really good. Food for the family and friends.

I guess the lesson w/ the Louisiana Grills L900 is one probably should swap roasts, butts, etc. right to left/left to right if you have any prayer of them getting them done at the same time. The left side cooking slower than the right has been a constant with the L900 so I guess it is up to the user to accommodate for this "feature".

Click image for larger version  Name:	two _8 lb boneless pork shoulders on LG L900-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	758.0 KB ID:	874396

Note two grill thermometers on either side of water pan

Click image for larger version  Name:	decent looking bark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	947.7 KB ID:	874397
          Last edited by MauleGuy; July 3, 2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here