Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good small footprint pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good small footprint pellet smoker?

I’m looking for recommendations. New house has an outdoor kitchen with a nice grill, and I want to find a separate pellet smoker that is vertical and has a small footprint. It doesn’t need to be huge, but enough to do brisket or 4 chickens or a 10-15 pound turkey. For reference, my old Weber smoky mountain 18” was just big enough for me but I would have liked it slightly larger. Not too concerned about budget I’m willing to pay for quality and performance. Thanks!

I highly recommend this Original Grilla from Grilla Grills:

Click image for larger version

Name:	907A1CE9-7B34-4641-AEA0-5058F9D9DF55.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	868846

Comment

+1 for the Original Grilla. Not that I've had one or even cooked on one but from what I've seen and read this is about as small of a footprint I can think of and still get a good quality product.

Comment

Yep, original grilla. I am almost ready to get the chimp model. I have talked to the people at Grilla a couple of times and they are good people.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          pbc, pbc, pbc………..

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          pbj, pbj, pbj,...…….

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP, wsm is going to rule the day for charcoal unless I get a bigger deck lol. Wifey is not on board with another charcoal cooker. Even so, I am buying my Blues Hog on Amazon from now on.

Davy Crockett from Green Mountain is maybe a little bigger than the Grilla, but can be used as a tailgate smoker.

Comment

Bogy has one of these I believe, Original Grilla

Comment

As HawkerXP said, I have an Original Grilla. funkspieler, if you want a small footprint, uniquely shaped pellet burner, I'd definitely recommend one. Yes, the footprint would be similar to a PBC, and there's nothing wrong with one of those, but you did specify a pellet burner.

That unique shape of the OG heats up fast, holds its heat well, and has more capacity than you might assume. For a pellet smoker the design does a better than average job of delivering a smoke flavor. Grilla also has a great reputation for customer service.

Mine is actually an original Original Grilla, before all the Alpha (PID) controller and all kinds of stainless steel upgrades. Even without all the stainless they have added or made available in upgrades the thing is built like a tank. I figure to have it for a very long time. Any specific questions, just ask.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              How often do you use it as opposed to your other cookers? I keep saying I want a Chimp to replace the little Traeger I have for ease of use (the Traeger is too small and won't hold low temps) - sometimes I don't feel like fooling with the charcoal, and I don't really want a gasser.

klflowers, the first year I had the Grilla I might have fired up my Weber Genesis gasser twice. My wife asked if I didn't want to just sell the Weber since I never used it. When we moved and then bought a vacation home I had a real struggle with which cooker was going where. I bought the Blaz'n, which is at the primary home for bigger cooks, and the Grilla went to the lake house. But I have been using the gasser a lot more this year. The bigger Blaz'n takes more time to heat up and isn't as convenient for shorter, faster cooks that the OG will work for. The OG will heat up as fast as the Weber. When we get over to the lake house pretty much every meal gets cooked on the OG, and I look forward to when I can use it again.

The short answer is, if I had all 3 cookers in the same place, the only time I wouldn't use the OG is if I had more than 4 or 5 pork butts or 3 or 4 briskets to cook.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Bogy. That is the way I think it will go too. If the Traeger was a better product, I would use it more often.

I don't have one, but the Grilla is what I would go for if I wanted a vertical oriented pellet cooker.

Comment

Just buy a camp stove and stick a smoke tube in it. It's the same thing and a very small footprint.
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here