Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another help me figure out what I "need" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another help me figure out what I "need" thread

Howdy. Looooong time lurker, but just ponied up for the club. First the good news. I just completed a landscaping project terracing the slope behind the garage that I capped off with a 400sq foot paver patio. The wife has plans for most of it, but I got permission to install a retractible awning and set up a year round spot to smoke and/or brew. I currently have a PBC, which I mostly love with a few caveats. First and foremost, it's too small. Fine for just the family, but just not enough space for a good party. It's also too hot to get much smoke into fish (grills them with a kiss of it nicely though). I'm a big fan of smoke flavor and run the PBC with a combination of charcoal and wood chunks. My heart wants a stick smoker. I live in Western Oregon now, but I grew up in the Piedmont area of NC and got my first taste of bourbon sitting up all night with my uncles smoking a whole hog for a family reunion pig-pickin. However, I have a wife, three kids, and a one man consulting company all competing for my time. My head says I'll get way more use out of a pellet smoker. So I'm 90% sure that's what I'm getting. I'm open to other suggestions but don't know of any that meet my size and lack of attention requirements.

First Question: Are there any brands of pellet smoker that are better at imparting smoke than others? Conversely any that are worse and should be avoided?

Next: I've spent a fair amount of time looking at the reviews and I'm not sure how to compare a Gold Medal given to and $800 brand compared to a $2000+ brand? Are they actually equivalent, or is it sort of a best in class ruling?

Size wise I'm looking for a grill at least 20" X 30". My local butcher has whole shoulders (but + picnic + 3 ribs) from large hogs that are ~15" X 20" and I need to be able to smoke 2 at a time. I managed to cram one into my PBC last year, still had to crutch it, and it wasn't enough meat when we had my rugby club over for an end of the season party.

Price wise, under $1500 will get past the wife no problem. I can probably sweet talk my way out of spending up to or a little over $2000 if it's absolutely worth it.

Reading reviews here the Grilla Silverbac with most of the extras looks right up my alley. The Yoder YS640 looks good as well but it's a bit more and I'm still not sure exactly where speeding more gets you more.

From what I've read Traeger is not what they once were and should generally be avoided. I'm intrigued by the Gold Medal for the GMG Jim Bowie conceding the price but other reviews make it sound cheep.

About 60% of what I use this for will be pork. Either shoulder or ribs. The the rest is generally split between brisket and fish (mostly trout, salmon, and/or steelhead). I've heard some of these can do pizza that would be a bonus if it could but not a deal breaker if it can't.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
    -Norm

How much food do you plan to cook at one time?

I had a GMG and in my opinion it just didn’t put much smoke on the food. I sold it and now use a 26” Weber kettle and a PBC.

Comment

You live in Oregon. How about a MAK? They are pretty high end but are supposed to be good on smoke for a pellet grill. Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Had to double check but a 1 star would meet his budget and space requirements 19.5x22" with 14" clearance I think for the second rack. The new 1 stars are pretty sweet and come with 'almost' all the same features as the 2 star now.

• Nor
        Nor commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'd looked at MAKs but my initial thinking is that 19.5x22" is too small. Maybe doubled up. I'll definitely take a second look.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Nor there's some good pics out there of a fully loaded MAK, just remember that at some point the 1 star was upgraded to be the same size as the 2 star so some pics of the 1 star online won't be as spacious. With the vertical space you can get a surprising amount of meat in a MAK. If they are something your are interested in the MAK facebook page has tons of operational pics. There's even 2 2 stars (both newish models) on sale for 2K or less right now, the owners can upgrade to the all SS model

Ahumadora can hook you up...

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter That's funny. What would shipping be on that?

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        ofelles cheaper to hotshot it, lol.

I have a GMG, so understand I'm not cutting on pellet smokers. It's not the smoker, it's the pellets. You just aren't going to get a heavy smoke flavor from a pellet grill. You want easy, pellets are great. But you have two wishes that are at odds here. I think you have to decide which is more important.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        This. Very much this.
        Higher quality pellets, plus some extra smoke, and it’s still gonna be a pleasant light smoke. I dig it, I’ve had no complaints from anyone, but, it’s not a big smoke flavor.

Seems like Troutman had an adaptation or add on module to add sticks to a pellet smoker......

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct. That might be the ticket.

Here ya go.

https://amazingribs.com/heavy-d-incr...pellet-cookers

The Amazon Prime price has gone way up since the article came out. The price from Smoke
      Daddy directly is a lot less.
      Last edited by TJMagneto; June 7, 2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Have you looked at the RecTec 700, main grill is 36x20. It is made out of SS and has an extra smoke cycle that gives extra smoke. The 700 replaces the 680 that was reviewed on the free side. https://www.rectecgrills.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill Several people here have one. I like some of the accessories that are available with in.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 7, 2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help with a pellet grill.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and if you decide on a Silverbac you’ll not be disappointed in either its build quality or in Grilla’s amazing customer service. Good luck with your search.

Comment

My vote would be for the loaded Grilla Silverbac Alpha. Hard to go wrong with it for a pellet grill.

Comment

I love my YS-640. I had a GMG first then got the YS-640 and I can tell a difference in the food. I use BBQer’s Delight Pellets. I will say that the GMG gave less smoke flavor than does the Yoder. Also, the Yoder’s direct grilling works great especially with the grill grates.

good luck on your search.

Sweaty Paul.

Comment

I think pellet smokers are, if anything, underrated. I'd recommend the camp chef with sear box if you go that route. You'll get great results with it -- I certainly have. But you should know their strengths and weaknesses. Ease of use is their greatest strength. Heavier smoke flavors and high temperature cooking and searing are weaknesses, though the latter is covered well by the sear box.

I have a Kamado, a pellet grill, and a flat top. They're all better and worse at different things, but if forced to pick one and only one, I'd take the pellet grill with sear box.

Comment

I would second the nod to the Yoder YS640. Large capacity, heavy duty, reasonably good smoke, and can be set up for searing/grilling. Have enjoyed mine. USA made.

Comment

I have a KBQ, PBC , KJ, and Yoder. I tell you this because all of them have different smoke profiles, and I like them all. The Yoder does have the lightest smoke flavor, however it's always delicious. I cook on it almost 3 days a week because it's easy and versatile. With the removable diffuser plate and grill grates it's replaced my gasser. I've tried every type / Brand of pellet I could and have decided unless I run mesquite I cannot tell that much of a difference in flavors, but I've settled on running just hickory for now it seems to have the best smoke profile IMHO, however slight that may be.
                      Good luck on your search but my vote is the Yoder if your going for a pellet cooker. As everyone always says it "it's a tank". 🔥

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seconded. As I said, I’ve had no complaints from folks eating from my Grilla. A very nice complimentary smoke flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here