Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with shopping for a new grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with shopping for a new grill

Howdy to all,

The internet is a big place! I've been looking to purchase a new pellet smoker, and frankly I'm overwhelmed with all of the options and data there is. So, I thought I would ask your opinion. Here's what I'm looking for:
    • Pellet smoker
    • Budget of around $1000
    • Wi-Fi Enabled
    • Searing is not important to me
    • American made if possible (with my budget, I'm starting to think this is a no-go)
    Any recommendations? Any grills/manufacturers that you're a big fan of?
    Thanks!

Rec Tec RT-590 or Camp Chef Woodwind Come to mind. I have the Rec Tec RT-700 and love it.

Comment

• JFIVEK
      JFIVEK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply! Looks like the only difference between the RT-590 and RT-700 is capacity (and $300!)

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. That’s about it. Smaller pellet hopper too. But still plenty large.

Have a good close look at the Grilla Grills’ pellet smokers.

Comment

• JFIVEK
      JFIVEK commented
      Editing a comment
      They are intriguing to me... but Wi-Fi is pretty important to me, and their grills don't have it. Although, as of a few days ago they're apparently coming out with a Wi-Fi model in the fall. Maybe worth the wait?

I'd look hard at RecTec myself. This is from the owner of a Traeger and a Yoder. Looked real hard at GMG but didn't pull the trigger. Found a killer deal on my Yoder, or I prolly woulda had a RecTec myself.

<edit> Never ever met a dissatisfied Camp Chef owner, either.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I don't have a pellet pooper, so I can't help, but it looks like you are gettin' plenty advice.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.
        You have received some good choices so far. I have heard that RecTec customer service is outstanding.
        People seem to be very loyal to the brand that they own for the most part. That being said, increase your budget and get the Yoder it's US built and a heavy duty beast.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of research on American made pellet grills as of late. If you compare grills with similar features between US and non-US made rigs you'll end up paying a few hundred bucks or so more for local made. I'm sort of partial to the Yoder YS640s as of late. It's built like a tank at 335# and has Fireboard built in. The Yoder is $1799 + shipping($200 to the West Coast) and the closest Rec Tec is probably the RT-700. It'll set you back $1199 and free shipping. The smaller RT-590 is $899 and free shipping. Have fun shopping!

Comment

Be sure to check our Searchable Equipment Reviews:

Comment

Welcome from Virginia. I do not have a pellet grill. I can say that the quality of Camp Chef products is great. I would also recommend looking at the MasterBuilt Gravity Feed series. It is not a pellet grill but is more set and forget and uses charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here