Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest Way To Clean Off Baked On Food Debris From Porcelain Coated Steel Grill Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest Way To Clean Off Baked On Food Debris From Porcelain Coated Steel Grill Grates

Hi all.

I am trying to find out how others clean their porcelain coated grill grates. I have tried scrubbing the hell out of them with a non-scratching scour pad (ended up leaving micro scratches, as I was pressing extremely hard) and premium dish soap. I would never take a wire brush, even brass, to my grill grates. I have tried soaking them in dish soap and water in a plastic tote for several days. Nothing seems to be able to penetrate beneath and free the baked on food debris.

I had the same issue with my porcelain stove top. Taking a risk, I used Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner, and not the Heavy Duty caustic version. I sprayed the Easy-Off Fume Free onto my stove top, and let it one day, sprayed more, let it sit another day, then finally removed it. That did the trick, although I had to spray even more to get it closer to pristine.

I am about to use Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner on my porcelain grill grates, as no other solution seems to work, and that is after the following the recommended cleaning cycle after smoker use. I'll take them out of the smoker, lay out some newspaper over my sink, and spray it onto them and see what happens after a day.

Has anyone else ever used Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner on their grill grates? What was your experience?

Take care.
    -Z

For the porcelain grate in my Traeger I just crank it as high as it can go and burn off the assorted nasties, followed by a quick scrub with an aluminum foil ball.

Comment

I have one if the plastic brushes that works alright. I also will use a plastic paint scraper and scrubbing pad in the sink.

Comment

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup +1

I use a propane weed burner for all my grills with the exception of the KBQ's stainless grills. The KBQs' go in the dishwasher. My cast iron grills get the high heat and a wipe down of canola oil while the porcelain grills get a lite heating followed up with damp paper towels.The porcelain will crack if heated too high. I hate the last meal on my grills flavor the next.

Comment

I take my grates and turn them upside down into a sheet pan with hot water and dawn. Wait a while a clean with a blue non scratch scrubber.

Easy money.

what are you cooking that requires oven cleaner?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish my sink fit my Primo XL grates. I'm going to see if the fit in a sheet pan today. Sounds like a good way to go if they do.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack I use a 2/3 sheet pan (some call it 3/4) but it’s bigger than a half and smaller than a full size. I was wondering if a whole on can fit two racks??

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, bummer, the grate does not fit in a half sheet which is the biggest I currently own. Just like my sink, it's just a bit too small. I think I'm going to get something for soaking them since they are a chore to clear. Someone once said a water heater tray was what they used. Maybe I'll get one of those or maybe a 2/3 sheet pan.

You will need to do it outdoors, but old fashioned ammonia cuts grease.

Comment

Hi all.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions.

HouseHomey So far, the only things that have been cooked on the grates have been pork ribs, chicken, and salmon. Even with setting the smoker to 350F for 20 minutes (recommended post use maintenance), there are some food debris that are baked on that will just not come off. Hence, I will be attempting to use Easy-Off Fume Free.

LA Pork Butt I try not to use ammonia in/around the house, as I don't want to accidentally have an interaction issue with any other chemicals, especially bleach.

Take care.
            -David

Comment

One other method is to use steam. Heat the grates. Soak three or four layers of newspaper in water. Wrap the hot grates in the newspaper until cool enough to handle. This method will loosen most stuff.

Comment

I just set them down for the dogs and finish up with a quick scrub with Dawn.

Comment

HouseHomey suggested I buy a bus tub so I did and a little soak makes the grates very easy to clean. I also use the bus tub to bus my other items from the outdoor kitchen.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have found the tub so, so much easier. Yup, doubles for my Mise as well.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bus tubs are Super versatile, an Handy, in a number of Culinary roles, from start to finish.

Originally posted by ManchuCooker View Post
                  I just set them down for the dogs and finish up with a quick scrub with Dawn.
                  Single guy's way to wash dishes minus the Dawn!

Comment

Burn baby burn! I’m in the Mr. Bones , MBMorgan & the rest that spoke of burn, yup. Fight gunk with Fire!

Comment

Cup a gasoline usually works
                      Premium if your made of money

Comment

Hi all.

Thanks for all that have replied.

I have found my solution. While wearing safety googles and rubber gloves and while outside, I put each grate vertically into a plastic tote, spray both sides with with Easy Off Heavy Duty (yellow can; very caustic), and lay it flat within the tote. After the third grate has been sprayed and laid flat, I cover the tote and let it sit outside for at least two days. After two days, I take the grates inside and wash off the mess with dishwashing lquid. The end result are grates that look new.

Thanks again.
                        -Z

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here