Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traegar Tailgater vs Davy Crockett vs Rectec 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Drbearsec View Post
    Revisiting this two year old thread for posterity sake. So after I posted this, I saw Max's KBQ review and fell in love and purchased that instead of the Rectec. Have loved it for years. But pellets have a happy ending. Found a Davy Crockett wifi for $170 on CL and bought it today. Best of both worlds!
    Congrats on your DC. I have had one since they first came out. They are great when you don't want to light off the big one. I take it camping and cook biscuits, pies, pork butts, and ribs in it. I have also done mac and cheese. I have found you just can't pack it wall to wall. Th circulation gets messed up and temps get wacky. But, like everything else, it does a great job if you learn its idiosyncrasies.

Leave a comment:

• Drbearsec
    commented on 's reply
    Just got it today so haven't cooked with it yet. Will let you know once I do.

• BriggsBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Now that you have both what is your opinion of the DC on holding temp and such?

• Drbearsec
    replied
    Revisiting this two year old thread for posterity sake. So after I posted this, I saw Max's KBQ review and fell in love and purchased that instead of the Rectec. Have loved it for years. But pellets have a happy ending. Found a Davy Crockett wifi for $170 on CL and bought it today. Best of both worlds!

Leave a comment:

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    replied
    Congratulations! If the mini is anything like the big bull, we are going to both be very, very happy.

Leave a comment:

• Drbearsec
    replied
    I decided to go with the Rec Tec Mini. It was a tough choice between that and the DC... in the end it came down to a few minor things that convinced me to spend the extra. I think both are great choices though. I didn't mind the extra weight and really wanted the wheels on it and the extra space. The Rec Tec people said they are working on a wireless add-on so I went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight. Thanks all for your help!

Leave a comment:

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    commented on 's reply
    Actually the Rec Tec has a 15 lb hopper.

• Marauderer
    replied
    I don't want to take anything away from the new RT Mini. But, for me and my trailer camping the DC wifi is still my choice. It is 220 sq in and weighs only 57 lbs. I know that will be to small for some but it is perfect for my use. Also with the stand it is a perfect height to work on. They are all good units and I would be proud to own any of them.

Leave a comment:

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    replied
    Actually the controller on the rec tec, if it's the same as the big one, will be far superior than anything. My big one stays dead on set temp.

Leave a comment:

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    commented on 's reply
    I've had a traeger & have switched to a Rec Tec for the last 3 years. I've probably ran a ton or more pellets through it and it still stays within a couple degrees of the set temp. Never had a flame out and just works perfectly. I just ordered a mini so I can cook at work & car shows, I have no doubt it will be every bit as good as big brother. I've never used a DC so I have no opinion ion on it. Just my 2 cents, good luck on your pellet future.

• Drbearsec
    replied
    Based on the info from here and GMG cust service, the clearance room for the RT and the GMG seems to be the same... not sure why that one article showed a 16lb turkey... maybe it was more compact...

So it looks like the main differences are the Wifi and cost ($150 or more cheaper) vs More cooking space, rolling transport mode and the look (yeah its minor but its still a pretty bad ass look).

Leave a comment:

• Drbearsec
    replied
    What specifically about the DC would make you pick it again vs the RT?

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
    I have a DC Wifi and have had it for about 6 months. I love it. We take it when we go Travel Trailer camping and really like it. I have smoked ribs, porkbutt, and beef ribs in it. I have baked lasagna, biscuits for breakfast, and an apple pie. I looked at the little traeger and liked the GMG DC. The RT mini hadn't come out and even now that it has I would still pick the DC Wifi first, hands down.

With the Harbor freight tool stand it is even better and it can run off of 120v or 12v dc which is great while camping.

It is a bit heavy 80-100 lbs but, I just remove the grates,plates and flame diffuser and it lightens up fine. It may not be heavy to some but, I am getting more senior now and am not as strong as I use to be.

Leave a comment:

• Ray
    commented on 's reply
    CandySueQ, I'd say that it cooks efficiently. Has no problem running from 150 to 450F, and that's in cold weather. Haven't tried it yet in warm summer temps.

• Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Drbearsec, just measured the lid clearance to be 7 1/2". Actual usable height may be less than that due to the way that the lid is shaped..but it's really very good for cooking small turkeys, pork butts, maybe even small briskets.

• Max Good
    commented on 's reply
    I stand corrected, but also agree with your above statement. Green Mountain is better than Traeger.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here