Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traegar Tailgater vs Davy Crockett vs Rectec 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traegar Tailgater vs Davy Crockett vs Rectec 300

Trying to get opinions on these. I'm looking to buy a portable pellet smoker... One I can use to do small cooks at home as well as take with me camping or elsewhere. What are people's experiences with these units?

Anyone do a turkey? That's usually my height test for cooking capacity.

Traegar's pellet grills need to be protected from the weather. They rust and the controller unit is easily damaged with moisture. The most satisfied Traegar owner I am familiar with replaced the original controller with a Savannah Stoker which is more precise. You'd get better flavor with a portable Smokenator and a temp controller like a PartyQ. This site rates both the Rectec300 and Davy Crockett as gold. The Rectec's styling is over the top for me

Comment

I can't find a review for the 300 on here... Just the 600. Do you have a link?

Originally posted by Rbar View Post
      Traegar's pellet grills need to be protected from the weather. They rust and the controller unit is easily damaged with moisture. The most satisfied Traegar owner I am familiar with replaced the original controller with a Savannah Stoker which is more precise. You'd get better flavor with a portable Smokenator and a temp controller like a PartyQ. This site rates both the Rectec300 and Davy Crockett as gold. The Rectec's styling is over the top for me

Comment

The Davy Crockett sure looks interesting. Three power options and WIFI for $399 list and you can probably get it for less from a dealer. Don't have one but that is what I would go for.

Comment

I'm trying to find out the turkey test of the Davy Crockett... It has about 100 less cubic inches... Rec Ted will do a 12 lb turkey and Traegar claims theirs will too.

That being said, the deal for the Davy Crockett is good. They offer free shipping, cover, spices, and a few other things for $500 for example.

Originally posted by bep35 View Post
          The Davy Crockett sure looks interesting. Three power options and WIFI for $399 list and you can probably get it for less from a dealer. Don't have one but that is what I would go for.

Comment

The REC TEC portable is new. We'll review it soon. All Green Mountain smokers are far superior to Traegers. The only advantage offered from Traeger's tailgater is it folds up like a brief case and is easier to transport than Davy Crocket. It also has a smaller cook surface.

Comment

Sounds good... If this site is true, the clearance of the DC is impressive... They have a 16 pound turkey... http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=23853.0

Just a point of clarification Max... The Traegar that folds like a briefcase is the PTG. That's a different model. The one I'm referring to is new, called the Tailgater. It's in their dealer Only line. It is the same size as the Jr elite but has fold up legs (which one can also add to the jr elite).

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
              The REC TEC portable is new. We'll review it soon. All Green Mountain smokers are far superior to Traegers. The only advantage offered from Traeger's tailgater is it folds up like a brief case and is easier to transport than Davy Crocket. It also has a smaller cook surface.

Comment

Which doesn't change the recommendation, but just to make sure everyone is talking the right thing here for future people

Originally posted by Drbearsec View Post
                Sounds good... If this site is true, the clearance of the DC is impressive... They have a 16 pound turkey... http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=23853.0

Just a point of clarification Max... The Traegar that folds like a briefcase is the PTG. That's a different model. The one I'm referring to is new, called the Tailgater. It's in their dealer Only line. It is the same size as the Jr elite but has fold up legs (which one can also add to the jr elite).

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I stand corrected, but also agree with your above statement. Green Mountain is better than Traeger.

I own a DC and enjoy cooking with it; only limitation is the cooking area and lid clearance. But the controls work very well...love the wi-fi! And it stores easily due to its small size. It is perfectly suited for small cooks and, I can imagine that it would do well for camping.

Comment

I would steer clear of Traeger.

Comment

If that link is right I'm guessing it has the best of the clearances too... The Rec Tec video used a 12 pounder vs 16 pounds on the DC... I like the lower price point too... But I like the wheel ability on the rec tec. Maybe I'll wait until Max's review.

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                    I own a DC and enjoy cooking with it; only limitation is the cooking area and lid clearance. But the controls work very well...love the wi-fi! And it stores easily due to its small size. It is perfectly suited for small cooks and, I can imagine that it would do well for camping.

Comment

• BBQ Bill Wyko
                      BBQ Bill Wyko commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually the Rec Tec has a 15 lb hopper.

Would someone with a Davy Crockett be willing to measure the headroom from grates to the top?

Comment

• Ray
                      Ray commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Drbearsec, just measured the lid clearance to be 7 1/2". Actual usable height may be less than that due to the way that the lid is shaped..but it's really very good for cooking small turkeys, pork butts, maybe even small briskets.

I have seen a DC at work. Does it cook hot? Looked to me that it had the standard GMG burn system just in a smaller container. Rec Tec told me that they scaled back the controller for the smaller cooker. Haven't seen one in person yet.

Comment

• Ray
                      Ray commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CandySueQ, I'd say that it cooks efficiently. Has no problem running from 150 to 450F, and that's in cold weather. Haven't tried it yet in warm summer temps.

I have a DC Wifi and have had it for about 6 months. I love it. We take it when we go Travel Trailer camping and really like it. I have smoked ribs, porkbutt, and beef ribs in it. I have baked lasagna, biscuits for breakfast, and an apple pie. I looked at the little traeger and liked the GMG DC. The RT mini hadn't come out and even now that it has I would still pick the DC Wifi first, hands down.

With the Harbor freight tool stand it is even better and it can run off of 120v or 12v dc which is great while camping.

It is a bit heavy 80-100 lbs but, I just remove the grates,plates and flame diffuser and it lightens up fine. It may not be heavy to some but, I am getting more senior now and am not as strong as I use to be.

Comment

What specifically about the DC would make you pick it again vs the RT?

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                      I have a DC Wifi and have had it for about 6 months. I love it. We take it when we go Travel Trailer camping and really like it. I have smoked ribs, porkbutt, and beef ribs in it. I have baked lasagna, biscuits for breakfast, and an apple pie. I looked at the little traeger and liked the GMG DC. The RT mini hadn't come out and even now that it has I would still pick the DC Wifi first, hands down.

With the Harbor freight tool stand it is even better and it can run off of 120v or 12v dc which is great while camping.

It is a bit heavy 80-100 lbs but, I just remove the grates,plates and flame diffuser and it lightens up fine. It may not be heavy to some but, I am getting more senior now and am not as strong as I use to be.

Comment

• BBQ Bill Wyko
                        BBQ Bill Wyko commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've had a traeger & have switched to a Rec Tec for the last 3 years. I've probably ran a ton or more pellets through it and it still stays within a couple degrees of the set temp. Never had a flame out and just works perfectly. I just ordered a mini so I can cook at work & car shows, I have no doubt it will be every bit as good as big brother. I've never used a DC so I have no opinion ion on it. Just my 2 cents, good luck on your pellet future.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here