Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stake on a pellet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stake on a pellet

I just scrapped a 10 year old gaser which left me with my GMG and my best half wanted a stake and I don't like the results when only using the GMG. I wasn't sure why but I kept the heavy grills from the old gaser and I had the thought to put one of them on top of the GMG grill when I fired it up. When it was almost at the set temp I put the stakes on the heavy grill and what we wound up with was GREAT. (Didn't think to take pics as this was just a test.) My wife LOVED the stakes. In the past I have thought to try the Grill Grates but with this working so great I don't know if I need to get the GG. Just thought this was worth mentioning. I do still need to get a gaser.

First off most of us like steaks, but be that as it may. Second, just because you excuse yerself with a mental lapse is no cause in these parts to let you off the hook as far as the pic thing goes. You have the audacity to tell us about this lip smacking, glorious piece of meat & then invoke the thoughts of yer purdy lil wife & then show us nuthin! We ought to banish you to behind the woodshed. Don’t ever let this happen again. 🕶

Comment

We may have to put you on the stake cause you didn't post pics of the steaks...
      Last edited by klflowers; August 5, 2019, 11:08 AM. Reason: Changed on on to you on

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

I was wonderin' what kind of stakes you like. Hickory, oak, or somethin' else... (Sorry - couldn't help myself - just havin' a little fun...)

Comment

Great Idea THE Humble Texan . I'm not fond of steaks on my pellet grill either but it sounds like you're on to something.

Comment

Give him a break it was a minor spelling miStake but not positing pics was a missedSteak
          Last edited by holehogg; August 5, 2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

When you are as OLD, FAT and BALD HEADED as I am we'll see how godo yuor splng iss. Besides, I was at work and in a hurry. (I'm still at work but at lunch)
            THIS IS THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, so when yer at lunch yer not in a hurry huh.

There's no mercy here THE Humble Texan , you should know that by now. Glad you enjoyed your steaks and not your stakes....

Comment

Steaks I recently did on the pellet cooker (seared lightly in CI skillet) were some of the best I've ever done. Same with burgers (no sear). That delicate smoke flavor combined with indirect convection heat works well with certain meats IMO.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yes, delicate. 🕶

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                FireMan Meathead used that word on the phone to me regarding his thoughts on pellet cookers' flavor, and I like it so much better than "mild" or "less smoky" etc that I had previously used to describe the smoke difference in pellet cookers. Delicate, but very present, describes it nicely.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, blame it on Meathead, sure I get it.

I like to cook them indirectly with some heavy smoke going. Then I will either sear them using the afterburner method, or I will fill the bottom of a cast iron pan with Ghee and sear the heck out of that baby with a Cast iron press on top to make sure I get great contact.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here