Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Mountaine Bowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Mountaine Bowie

I just purchased a Jim Bowie Smoker and I am smoking a 12lb brisket. I have the smoker at 225 and within three hours the internal temp shows almost 203 which from I am reading is the temp is should be at after about 12-14 hours. The temp never stalled. I wondering if I need to lower the temp as I am at a elevation of 5000 feet. I did reduce the temp to 185 and the internal temp is 202. its been in now for 4 hrs Any help would be appreciated. I was using the Brisket recipe in the book Meatheads. Thanks!

First, welcome to the Pit!

So, first cook on your GMG and you choose brisket... you da man!

Assuming you are referring to the internal temp of the brisket and not the smoking chamber temp? If brisket something is way wrong. My first guess would be a bad temp probe. Do you have a good instant read thermometer to double check things with?

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

I see two possibilities. Either the probe is not placed correctly, or the probe is off.

If you don't have an instant read thermometer, pull your probe out of the meat and check it in boiling water. The BP at your elevation is ~ 202* F and food will cook slower, but I suspect that since moisture evaporates faster, it may be dryer when probe tender. I hope someone who cooks at high elevation will correct me if I am wrong.

Your probe should be placed in the thickest part of the brisket, but not in a layer of fat. Once the temp has started to rise and the reading is steady, move the probe in and out a bit until you are sure the probe is in the coolest spot.

Your brisket is done when probe tender. That means that there should be no resistance when the probe is inserted.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here