Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Grill as an air fryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Grill as an air fryer

I have been reading about air fryers, and they appear to be convection ovens. It appears that one must coat the food with a thin layer of oil, and periodically stir or spray with more oil.

My question is, could this be done on a pellet grill. Is there enough convection with the fan to accomplish the same end result?

For anyone that uses an air fryer, how do you prepare the food?

Thanks

I don't think the convection effect on my Grilla is the equivalent of a convection toaster oven, and I think pellets are a poor way to get 400* temps. Apparently, Air fryers can cook down in the 300-400 range, which is kind of about as high as I think the Grilla works efficiently, with the efficiency curve dropping around 375.

Might be worth trying.

Comment

We have pretty much replaced actually frying food in oil with using an air fryer. We just spray a small amount of Pam on the food, put it in the fryer and turn it on. It works great - we have done wings, brussel sprouts wrapped in bacon, pork chops, home fries - just about everything. We normally just use the recipes in the book that came with the fryer. This is the one we have:

We also have a Treager Scout pellet grill. I guess we could do the same stuff on it, but the air fryer is quicker and more efficient. I really never thought of the two as interchangeable, just different tools. Not that I am giving up either one, mind you...

Comment

I think I might try it. The benefit of using the pellet grill is that it can be done outside, keeping the frying odors out of the kitchen. In the summer, it would also keep the heat out of the house. The air fryer may be more efficient, because of the relative air flow. I did not think about that.

Comment

I don't think the results will be the same on a pellet smoker as with the air fryer. The air fryer has some pretty intense convection circulation going on around a small amount of food, all self contained in a sealed environment that retains all the oil and moisture. The pellet smokers is moving new air through all the time I would assume, and will have trouble hitting the same temperatures in most cases.

I speak as just a speculative engineer and part time cook, and own neither an air fryer nor a pellet smoker! I just know that I often cook food on my kettle or Genesis at fryer temperatures of 350-400, with a lot of air and heat movement through the food, and I often spray oil on my chicken at least. It is not remotely like having food that is fried in oil.

I know my daughter and son in law got an air fryer as a wedding gift, and use it routinely, and seem to like it a lot.

If you have grills, I think taking the frying outside makes a lot of sense. What makes more sense than burning lots of pellets and trying to emulate an air fryer with the pellet smoker, is to throw some cast iron down on your gas grill and fry that way.

Here's why and how you should fry foods on your gas grill. Outside on a gas grill, you don't have to worry about the smell, the smoke alarm, or oil spattering on the stove and counters. And you never have undercooked chicken.

Comment

Kettle at 500F has a lot of air moving (vortex). Wings turn out as good as frying. I suspect lower temperatures may not work as well. Wings of course have their own fat built in which helps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here