Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec tec stampede, Grilla Alpha Grilla, Grilla alpha silverback, or other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec tec stampede, Grilla Alpha Grilla, Grilla alpha silverback, or other

Hi everyone. I'm looking for your input on a new pellet smoker. Iv have chosen a few that I like but im open to suggestions. My price range is 1000 or under. Let me know your thoughts.

I don't own either of those but the Grilla units seem really nice and don't rely as much on marketing as the Rec Tec stuff does. If I remember right the Stampede has a shorter warranty than the RT-700 Bull, but I don't know if it's a material/component difference or just because it's a lower price point model. Both companies have multiple posts where they helped a customer outside the warranty period. Both companies have a loyal following.

Being in Wisconsin I think you might be purchasing a thermal blanket for either grill, but the Grilla is double walled and I think you can add on a lid accessory which should perform better in cooler temps. The size of the grill depends on what you plan on cooking.

Comment

I have the Grilla original, the one with out the alpha controller. Really like it and get a good smoke profile for my tastes. The Rec Tec gets good reviews too so those are fine choices.

Comment

I have an Alpha Original Grilla and am loving it so far...

Awesome customer service and 100 percent less horns and bull sh!t...

I went to the warehouse to pick mine up.

Comment

I have been doing a lot of research with exactly your are looking at and looking to make a choice soon. This will be my first pellet smoker purchase and I will first say that I don't believe you can make a bad choice at the price range and companies you are looking at. I know people that own each product and are happy with their purchase. Sometimes you have to choose a company and just go with it. That said, I am leaning with the Griilla Silverbac for me at this point. I very much like the shape and idea of Grilla original, but think the traditional diesign of the Silverbac will be better for me. I am very impressed with the double insulated design of the Grilla being that I cook all winter long in Pittsburgh. Grilla does not have Wi-Fi, if that is important to you vs. Rec Tec. The Grilla Silverbac starts at $650 but lets be honest, you will want the Alpha version which is $799. On top of that they make you feel that you need to buy the Accessory pack(which I believe should be standard) and then a cover so that is an additional $100. That gets you in the range of the Rec Tec Stampede at $900. I have read that a few people have had problems with heat being at a constant temperature with Rec Tec, but again I also know many people here that love their product. Recently the warranty on Rec Tec used to be only two years, but I believe they have increased that amount to four years to compete with Grilla and others. The only thing that I personally don't like about Rec Tec is that they price their products below some random original price to make you think that you are buying it onsale, but the price has been the same for the last year (at least). To me, that is pushy and used car sales tactics. I believe a product should stand on its own. A price should be the price. This post is long winded I realize, but these are my thoughts and I am currently evaluating the same products as you. This will be my first major purchase into this world and I don't want to regret it so I have been doing my research. I hope I have been accurate in what I have said, but please someone correct me if I am wrong with any comments. I am looking to make a choice as well. I hope this helps and I will be curious to read what others have to say.

Comment

Today I did my first cook on my Rec Tec Stampede. I decided on RT because of the 30 day money back guarantee and the WiFi feature. The Grilla Silverback took a close second though. I have to say I am thrilled with the cooker and the food it produces. Set it at 225 and it was rock solid for 5.5 hours in 10 mph wind conditions @ 75 degrees. These are the best looking and tasting St. Louis style ribs I have ever made. My only regret is I did not go pellet sooner. Jump in you won't be disappointed.
            Attached Files

Comment

I sold a GMG DB & replaced with a Grilla Alpha, 2wks ownership & more impressed with Grilla than GMG.

Comment

• smoke_em_up_pete
                smoke_em_up_pete commented
                Editing a comment
                Great feedback. Can you elaborate?

While I have Yoder I have been lurking around this forum a lot and for a long time, not necessarily posting much, but, reading tons. I think that you probably can't make a bad choice with either the Rec-Tec or the Grilla. Good luck on your choice and enjoy it and even better good luck on your future cooks.

Sweaty Paul

Comment

I just bought a Stampede and am doing a pork shoulder and short ribs tomorrow for the maiden voyage (if my schedule works out, that is). Did the "toast test" (I forgot what that's actually called), and all the pieces of bread were basically toasting at the same rate, so the temps in the RecTec are uniform. Have not set up a separate thermometer to check the accuracy of the RecTec temps, but will do that tomorrow with my iGrill and CyberQ. This in no way is saying I think the Stampede is better than the Grilla. I was looking seriously at both products but went with the Stampede because of the wifi. Agreeing with everyone else, you can't go wrong with either. Have fun choosing!

Comment

I’m an OG Grilla owner for a year and a half now. I don’t really get the point of the Alpha controller, even though folks have explained it to me several times. So, I don’t know that I would spring the extra for the Alpha controller.

Like everyone else, I don’t think you can go wrong. I think the original style Grilla is likely the best for cold weather cooking due to the double wall and the THICK material of the entire construction.

I dont think you can go too far wrong with any of the grills you are considering. I’m not gonna go after cookers I don’t own.

Comment

I recently purchased a Grilla Silverbac without the Alpha and I have to say I am very happy with it. In my overkill mind I thought I needed a Pitts and Spitts or a Yoder due to steel gauge and good reviews, but then considered cost, warranty, Grilla reviews, and what I am going to do with it and my choice fit the bill on all those categories. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here