Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on my smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on my smoker

i have a Rec Tec knockoff from Home Depot. The steel isn’t really thick and I don’t have a great seal around the door. I’m wondering if I could get a better deal it might help getting more smoke into the food.

Also on the back side there are three huge ports. Do you think it would affect anything if maybe I covered 2 of them? What would work best to seal around the door?

Attached Files

No, pellet grills are what they are for flavor...and most folks report that to be mild. I suspect those are your exhaust since you don't have a smoke stack. I would not plug them off. You might get more efficiency and perhaps better temp control with a better seal, but likely wouldn't affect the flavor. You could try using an Amaz-N-Tube smoker to get some extra smoke going, but again many report that they don't add too much extra. You could try putting a chunk of wood down on, or just above, the burn pot during the first part of the cook until it burns away.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. That IS your exhaust. Smoke has to go somewhere.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda I just can't see the other side so I'm assuming there's no stack. But most likely, yep.

There actually is an Amazen tube in there, you just can’t see it in the pic.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the door seal. Those three large holes in the back make the leaky door immaterial in my opinion. A seal wouldn't hurt if you would like to add one. Just mosey over to Amazon and search for bbq gasket. I'd get a thin one that is around .5" to 1" wide.

Comment

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with this. The holes in the back are high, and by that time the smoke is past your food. If the door seal is poor, I would put a felt gasket to keep more smoke in at the food level. You may not want to put the gasket on the upper edge of the door. Try it without that part. It will put strain on your hinges, and may make the crack on the bottom of the door worse.

Does this P.P. have a chimney? If not I would block holes completely and install a small chimney so that the smoke runs all the way across the grill. There are chimney calculators on the net for size and height. Just saying, can not tell from pictures.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here