Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet grill observations from a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I dare say sous vide? BTW, my cooker is best, so there!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you say in French, "zew are pourink zee fueeel on zee fire"

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Like seriously, WTF.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      Fireman- great comment "Sous Vide" nah why make cooking accurate and consistent? I mean , why would a talented skilled chef want that?

WOW – did I hit a hornet’s nest, or what! It’s all good folks. There ain’t no failure if you’re producing good eats and havin’ fun doin’ it. BBQ’n is nothing more than a process to prepare good food and is NOT life threatening unless your serving contaminated food. Having a ‘my process is better than your process’ attitude is rather picayune and doesn’t really benefit anybody.

In the just over 4 weeks since I bought my CC, I’ve discovered I didn’t have a clue how widespread and diverse the BBQ community really is and how many different methods there are to produce excellent BBQ. But unlike a very small number of BBQ community members whose whole life revolves around BBQ’n, I have many passions such as hunting, fishing, shooting clay targets, and travel to name just a few. I respect everybody’s opinion and thoughts on how to achieve a successful result on the equipment I have and use. That is why this and other forums are of value to me.

But come on; does using a BBQ process that makes my life simpler make me inferior in some way? Does driving a Chevy instead of a Ford or Ram truck make me an inferior traveler or shooting a hammer side by side shotgun for duck hunting instead of a 3 ½ chamber semiauto make me an inferior hunter? I think not.

I started this thread just to voice some newbie observations about how much more widespread and diverse the BBQ community really is than what I thought 2 months ago. I didn’t intend to ruffle anybody’s feathers or start any fights. I’m on a wonderful journey, learning new things almost daily about BBQ’n and producing good meals while doing it. I thank all of you who have responded with positive comments in this thread. ‘Nough said.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Zactly! 👍

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I vote for diversity in bbq

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      No. BBQ monoculture or else. ;-)

BTW, Ford is best even though I drive a Subaru. So there! And my cooker is still the best! 🕶

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, MY dog can whip YOUR dog - so there! 🤣😂🤣

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Disagree, I own a Rec Tec Chevy Model, got the big Texas bull horns on the hood too, it's definitely the best, you armchair transporter. Heck, you just want to get from point A to point B in that automobile contraption. A purest would walk, or perhaps bicycle around town. Pee on you

Well ok then I've tried to lay back and watch and see this one to conclusion. So what have we learned from this exciting thread boys and girls? Well, we've learned that no matter what brand model of cooker we choose, it is definitely the best (regardless of no basis in objective comparison). We've learned that using certain types of bbq cookers and techniques are far less superior to the purest who presumably lives in the woods and cooks in an open pit. We've also learned that Chevys and better than Fords (although that is a totally biased and unsubstantiated rumor).

I've got an idea. Why don't we worry more about being good cooks, that's right it's not the cooker but the cookie that counts (Harry Soo). I say we celebrate the results of what these cookers produce. I've eaten something from just about every kind of method of cooking be it a hole in the ground to a $15,000 custom trailer rig. It all tasted pretty darn good to me and as I recall I was more concerned about the net result and the technique then what it was cooked on.

So, to help me do my job how about we post some recipes of the cooks that we've put together on whatever cooker you want to use. The winners get published and can actually have some tangible bragging rights. Hmmmm? Any takers??

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea. It’ll force us to bring our "A" game. Excited to see what we get.

adamcoe Okay, let me lay it out straight for you, so you can see why folks get bent.

Armchair BBQ. The term is inherently insulting, especially coming from someone who is apparently running an offset stick burner.

Let's turn it around. Let's say there are a bunch of folks digging pits, laying sticks over the top of the fire, and cooking whole hogs. Or maybe, they're a bit higher tech, and manage a live fire in a pit, with a metal grill in place of sturdy sticks. Maybe they have a rack to hang sausages over the thing.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	salt-lick-bbq.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	660312
    And they think of the offset style of smoker as a high tech innovation, making it easier. So, they call you lawnchair BBQ, because you can sit around and drink beer, instead of managing the fire and turning or basting the meat continually.

So, Lawnchair, since you don't have the same authenticity as these folks, and don't get the same flavor profile, and have it a bit easier in terms of fire management... have you removed the art of the cook? What if original barbacoa cook says you have watered it down and commodified it? Do you take him seriously, or do you find him needlessly reductive and insulting?

That's rhetorical. Because the last thing any pellet cooker owner needs is a stick burning aficionado to put him or her in a box, put an arbitrary standard (like when Aaron Franklin does it) or otherwise define what we do. Frankly, SVQ folks don't need that. Neither do kamado folks, gravity fed folks, UDS folks, kettle folks, or anyone else... offset community included.

I don't even own an armchair. And I very much enjoy my couch time and everything I cook from my couch.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, that's the open pit at the Salt Lick in Driftwood. The dirty little secret there is they pre-smoke their meat in the back and "tune it up" on that open pit for show. That's not the way they cook meat overall.

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I THOUGHT that grill looked familiar. I have friends that live in Driftwood and I've been to the Salt Lick twice and plan to return yet again when next I visit my friends down there. Their Q is very close to 5 Star on my uneducated palate. I've never tasted Franklin's Q out of Austin but have been told they are one of the best. I have eaten Cooper's Q a couple of times but don't think they are better than the Salt Lick. But hey, what do I know? 😁

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      The original picture I wanted to use in the example was an actual pit, but it was being maintained by slaves, and I don't even want to touch the cultural history of BBQ before the offset... Well picked, folks, indeed the Salt Lick, who, last I was there, makes high quality restaurant 'que, regardless of process. So high quality, the LA area Texas Exes used to get a LARGE quantity delivered to LA for a big party every year.

I love lamp.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t get him started on the light switch, the real power behind the lamp!

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I love carpet.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      If you get a trident 🔱 I will be worried.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here