Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on a Salvaged Traeger BBQ070

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs on a Salvaged Traeger BBQ070

Someone in my neighborhood recently put an old Traeger out on the street. I have always wanted to try out a pellet smoker, so I cleaned it out, unjammed the auger, and replaced the controller. Everything works great now. However, my first cook was a brisket and I was really unhappy with the result. Dried out and bad taste. I’m sure it was user error, so I figured I would dial back my ambitions a bit and post a question to the community.

What is a bulletproof method for cooking ribs on a small pellet smoker? I use the standard ribs preparation with Memphis Dust and generally use St. Louis style ribs. But always on an pit barrel (drum) smoker.

Advice for a novice pellet smoker?
    Attached Files

That is a great find and worthy of refurbishing. Like my old BBQ 075 it's made of nice rolled steel instead of stamped.

I use my pellet pooper like any other grill as far as temps are concerned. I used to mess around with water pans, crutching, injecting and such, but have really boiled it down to selecting quality, well-marbled meat and do L&S at 250-275 with a rub of choice. I think you're just going to have to use it to find it's idiosyncrasies.

Comment

Not sure about that Traeger, but I have cooked on way to many cookers over the years and IMO pellet cooked ribs are really hard to beat! Personally, I cook them (St. Louis) at 225° for about 7ish hours and I do not wrap. I start spritzing at the 2.5 hour mark and spritz every 45 mins til about the 6 hour mark. At that point I typically glaze and let things tighten up the last hour or so. Sooooo good!
      Attached Files

Comment

As far as temps go, I'm with CaptainMike ... 250-275 ... probably because I had a PBC before the pellet smoker and always got great results at its "normal" 275ish operating temperature. I always rub with MMD and then spritz with water (don't want any sugary liquid to gunk up the smoker) every 30-45 minutes then glaze about 30-45 minutes before they're ready to pull and serve. I never wrap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilla Ribs 2 - 20181215.JPG Views:	3 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	654209

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilla Ribs 3 - 20181215.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	654210

I tend to cut each rack in half before cooking ... partially because a half rack is a full meal (or more) for just the wife and me and partially because they're much easier to arrange on the round Grilla.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; March 23, 2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Agree with above. Trial and error, but your usual method is a good start. Have you got a good thermometer like a Smoke or Fireboard to make sure the temps on the controller are reading correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
            Have you got a good thermometer like a Smoke or Fireboard to make sure the temps on the controller are reading correctly?
            Yes, I have another digital probe in there to confirm that I am getting accurate temps.

Comment

Great advice all around. I too like the cook at 275* in my pellet cooker. Just let them roll as you normally would.

Comment

Thanks all!
                Attached Files

Comment

• rwalters
                  rwalters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They look GREAT! Well? How’d they turn out (taste, texture, moist, etc)? Were you happy with the results?

I really like "rescuing" something that others want to discard, or sell at a greatly reduced price. Looks like you got a good one there. I have rescued a charcoal grill, gas grill, and a pellet grill. After a bit of work, they all cooked great food.

Comment

Great find! You’ll do well. 👍👍👍. 🕶

Comment

Awesome Salvage! I Picked one up like that for $100 and I thought that was a good deal! If you're used to a more robust smoke flavor you may want to add a smoke tube to your arsenal. They are like 15 bucks on amazon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here