Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick 850

Been using my PBC for years and love it but its time for an upgrade. I have a local dealer where I can get a P&S Maverick 850. This would be my first experience with pellet cookers. The 850 seems pretty legit and since my HOA won't allow a stick burner I guess I won't be getting my LoneStar. For those that have direct experience with this line of grill/smoker, how do you like it? What things would you change? Along with smoking I plan to use it as a "set it and forget it" grill. How well can you cook steak, burgers, dogs, chicken breast on this? Thanks for any help.

I have an older version of the 1250 model (only difference being a bigger cooking chamber). I've had great success with mine, like I've said in other post the thing is built like a tank. I also have the older Pellet Pro PID controller which has been upgraded to a new and better controller. Smoke profiles are much better now then in my unit. It's the only thing I wish I had, more smoke !!!

Not too many guys have these on here, all I can say is look around at some other choices, but in the end if you buy the P&S you won't be sorry !!!

Comment

Thanks. Why do you think folks on here don't have them? I noticed that as well. I've looked a Treager (not buying) and RecTec, Yoder, Gm, Blazer, etc.... Without having personally seen one yet, it seems like the P&S is a cooking machine.

Comment

I live just a few miles from the P&S shop so when I was doing my research I wanted a top of the line cooker that exceeded the Treagers of the world. P&S, along with Yoder, were the two I ended up narrowing down because they are built like stick burners with heavy gauge steel that helps with heat retention and will last. The P&S is actually a converted stick burner that has been made into a pellet grill, so it's really sort of a hybrid. What ultimately drove me to buy the P&S was the simple fact that Yoder wanted $600 more to deliver it to my home, P&S delivered it for free !!

I've cooked on mine going on two years now with zero problems. In fact the thing that happens to all pellet cookers is the hot rod will eventually go out on you. Mine is ceramic and will eventually give out but so far it's been rock solid. As I mentioned above my only issue is the lack of smoke, I like a stronger smoke profile. I've seen the new ones and the controller does a much better job and produces a lot of clean smoke. Unfortunately they want $400 to upgrade mine.

I think they just don't aggressively advertise as much as the other brands. They've been in Houston for years and make custom rigs for serious pitmasters. They really don't have a huge operation either so gearing up to compete with the big boys would mean a serious expansion effort. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, you be the judge. Good luck in your choice, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the P&S.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here