Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally bought a pellet pooper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations and welcome to pellet pooping.

Comment

I got this thing all put together Saturday morning. I really like the feel of this cooker, it feels solid. I did not have enough time on Saturday to commit to a long cook. So, I decided to do a test run making some chocolate chip cookies. They turned out great. They seemed to cook evenly. I forgot to take a picture of the final product and they disappeared fast. The Silverbac holds temperature great, even when the outside temp is in the 30's. After opening the door, I noticed that the temp seems to come back up fairly quickly.

My deck is still not clear of ice and snow so I had to just pull it out of the garage and cook in my driveway. On Sunday, I cooked 3 racks of baby backs. I used a Weber seasoning that I had in the cupboard on two of the racks and I used Henrik's KC Royale pork rub on the other rack. Everyone in the house preferred the ribs with Hank's rub.

I was very impressed with my first cooks in my new Silverbac. This thing is going to get used a ton this summer. I am on vacation next week so I'm sure it will be getting used plenty then too.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TechSmoker; March 18, 2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        The ribs look real good! So glad to hear your guests like the rubs with my rub, very cool. Just keep on cookin' and learn the ins and outs of the Silverback. I've been ogling it on their website. Very nice rig.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Time and temp on the cookies? I'm trying to figure out if I can make my Smoke probe stay in a cookie. Actually, my wife is in charge of cookies, although last summer she did start letting me do veggies on the grill.

• TechSmoker
        TechSmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy I baked the cookies for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Welcome to the world of pellet cooking. I got one in December and I really like it. A couple questions about your cook:

1. Is that parchment paper the cookies are sitting on? Did you bake them on the paper?

2. I've never used the two rubs you have pictured. How did you like them? What is their flavor profile? Sweet, salty, spicy?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• TechSmoker
        TechSmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the cookies are on parchment paper. Anything that I ever bake on a sheet pan is lined with parchment paper. It makes clean up so much easier.

Hank's KC Royale has a sweetness to it to start and then a couple of seconds later, there is a slight kick. It is a well balanced sweet/spicy rub. The cool think about this rub is that he uses mango powder for the sweetness.

The Weber rub was a sweet and tangy rub with very little to offer for spiciness. It was really a pretty average rub.

• dsohmer
        dsohmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Wibs is wibs, but Cookies! WOW!No more Tech Smoke around here. It’s the Cookie Monster! Yup! Cool cook & cooker.

Comment

That all looks great. Congrats on the purchase. I have been looking into Grilla grills. Want to buy a pellet pooper, but not able to pull the trigger yet.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like you've got a lot of room in that cooker!

Comment

Nice. I’m curious about the advantage to the alpha controller.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, after spending the last year being assured that the swing was fine, I'm not sure why I want to have the precision, tbh. Maybe if I were doing more baking.

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack, I'm with you. Grilla has walked back their company line that the swing was good. It seems to be working, a lot of people seem to be ordering because now they can get a PID. But I've got the really old dial controller, with lots of swing, especially at lower temps (more than the guys at Grilla are willing to admit I should have), and I have no complaints. As long as the temp averages what I want, things come out great.

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the swing! Swing means smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here