Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMG Pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG Pellet smoker

She smokes a ton getting to set point, then pants, at say 200F, very little smoke, when it needs more fuel to maintain temp, a little smoke. Then the stack seems clear. Stack cover two inch clearance.

You asking a question, making a statement, looking for advice, doing a review?

Comment

What’s the question?

Comment

Hi Nate, I don't have a comparison, so it it normal, at temp (say 200), to mostly not see smoke, like none!

The Daniel Boone, made in China IMO is not well made. The guys at GMG are helpful, good.

1st year.

Allot When it does smoke, leaks from hood. Placed flash light ON, closed the lid, took pics, GMG send new hood, not real helpful as it does not mate to body, well. In fact BBQ gasket, was no help, do to mating (hood to body) abnormalities.

Next It has WIFI controller, the whole unit went out, sent new controller

They say for hot & cold spots, move heat shield to right, moved as far as possible, little bit better.

Food heat probe, bad they sent a new one

Owners manual, binding job not good, pages fall out, they sent replacement.

Note: While at temp. I expected to see pretty much continuous, lite blue gray, smoke, coming out the chimney. Is that reasonable

Comment

Not really a reasonable assumption. Like your oven, it will cycle on and off and have a swing. My Grilla folks have engineered the grill to swing for greater smoke production. As a result, I have periods of huge smoke and periods of none. Somehow, any time I want to check on something on the grill, it’s in a heavy smoke phase, and I get blasted with smoke.

What you are experiencing is a natural consequence of pellet cooking. How are your results with the cooker, despite all the struggles. At the end of the day, the results of the cook are the main consideration.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            That heavy smoke when you open the Grilla is on purpose. If your checkin', your not smokin'.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, but sometimes, I just want to take the food in... ;-)

Do u mind me calling you PKB? Grilla pellet looks interesting, smaller foot print! I was thinking about a MAK-1. I understand the concept, temp control, when dips below set point, burn more pellets. This would be like smoke signals, puff....no puff... puff. The term in industry is 'hunting'. Maintain set point & smoke when more heat required to maintain set point.

My only real comparison is, with commercial smoke, restaurants, so not fair comparison. Do u work for Grilla?

Thanks

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            No. Don’t work for Grilla, Weber, ChefSteps, Zynga, or Disney Digital, all companies I’ve been asked/accused of working for.

P-Grilla will all have a swing. It’s the nature of the beast. Maybe a Memphis doesn’t, but that’s beyond my government salary.

My neighbor recently got a rec-tek. I have seen it in action. There is constant smoke. He had a camp chef, it would alternate between puffing out smoke and running clear. Not so with the rec-tek. Constant thin smoke. Don’t know about higher temperatures, my guess is it would run thinner smoke as temp increases. That is just a consequence of pellet cookers.

Comment

The Rec Tec puts out some really good smoke in the low smoke mode. Their algorithm and WiFi are unmatched. But as with most all pellet grills, they are too efficient at burning fuel at any higher temp to lay down smoke.

Comment

My Yoder puts out a constant stream of clear blue smoke at temps 300 and less, however, as it gets hotter I have less smoke. My GMG David Bowie seems to leave a film on food as it cooks. Very thin and I didn’t really notice it until I got my Yoder. It seems to have a thicker smoke in appearance with less smoke flavor.

Comment

I should clarify comment above. Grilla has smoke constantly when at a smoking range temp. It’s just that it’s not necessarily generating smoke through the whole cook as it cycles and swings. The wall of smoke that I frequently encounter is on the upswing, but when I open and it’s not on the upswing, it still has smoke, just not that wall of new smoke.

Comment

• jgreen
                  jgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mine does that too. For a pellet unit, I am really happy with the smoke. The Grilla controller is designed to swing the temps through a bit wider range to get more smoke. I chuckled at your comment about opening it though. I get that too.

• Fire Art
                  Fire Art commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yah what he said 🤓

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I keep it open to long, temp drops and it kicks the smoke cycle off, so some of it is self inflicted. But man, getting a hit or two of the heavy smoke kinda blows my ability to taste smoke for a bit.

Seems rec-tec & grilla, have a leg up on GMG. I like the wifi, you get spoiled really quickly!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  GMG has some neat features, like the geometry of the lid for additional capacity.

Are you using a temp probe to monitor the grill surface temp or are you relying on the built-in temp probe and just setting it to cook at 200 and assuming that is an accurate cooking temp? I just did a cook this weekend on my GMG where outside temp would have been a major issue if I wasn't using additional probes. If I had my GMG set to 200, it probably would have actually been cooking somewhere closer 300-350.

Details in my post here - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lute-must-have

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here