Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Boss 77550 5.5 Anyone have one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Boss 77550 5.5 Anyone have one of these?

I just finished assembling my new and first pellet smoker, The Pit Boss 77550 5.5. I am super excited to use it. My first cook will be tonight in 23 degree Jersey weather. I have only used gas smokers so far and have had great success. Has anyone used this smoker? And please any suggestions on helping me through my transition from gas to pellet would be great.
    Attached Files

That's a good looking cooker.
    Hope you not going to use it where it's now positioned

Comment

• SmokeyPete
      SmokeyPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol...no that would definitly bring the fire department! Its was 25 degrees outside last night so this was an indoor build.

• sos2979
      sos2979 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well a lot of people say that pellet smokers produce a light smoke so maybe....not

Looks nice. Id say follow the instructions the first time. Then make any adjustments on the next. Where about in NJ?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Very well. Been here since 1985 so must like it right? Go Giants!

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally a Bergenfield guy myself, born and raised.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Bergenfield! Howdy neighbor!! painter

I hope it isnt a light smoke. That would stink.

Comment

Nice looking cooker. I have a small Traeger Scout that I use for grilling, so I can't help, but I look forward to seeing what you produce with this.

Comment

Don’t have your particular smoker but there are some general rules to remember. Make sure you season the cooker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep your pellets dry and protected. I use Home Depot Homer buckets with a lid. Make sure you keep the firebox clean. Pellets make an ash that will restrict air flow after a few cooks and can lead to varying problems and the fire going out. I use a Home Depot bucket top shop vac to easily get rid of the ash after every cook. Get a separate thermometer to measure temps in the smoker. Each rack will be different in a vertical and the onboard thermometer is probably just an average, and may not be that accurate. And last but definitely not least is to get a decent digital thermometer to check the temp of the meat. For most meats you will want to cook to temperature. Now go and have some fun!

Comment

• SmokeyPete
          SmokeyPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you very much for the advice. My first cook went great until the last hour when i wrapped the ribs in foil. After a half hour, the fire went out and the hopper and fan stopped...the display said ELD. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Everything turned on but the temperature would not rise. Do you know what the issue is?

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. I see error code elh - high temp, and el1 - temp probe but no eld. Maybe the d stands for door? Time to give them a call and get it fixed while under warranty.

• SmokeyPete
          SmokeyPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thank you...i havent had time to diagnose if fully reading the manual. But i will take your advice. Thank you.

I don't have a pellet smoker, but I am familiar with glass oven doors. Please keep yours clean from the start. A razor blade scraper will be a great help - use it frequently.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here