Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec Tec RT-590 Stampede - why don't I want to buy this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec RT-590 Stampede - why don't I want to buy this?

Why wouldn't I want the RT-590? It is the right size for me, wifi equipped, all SS interior, 30lb hopper, and $900 right now, free shipping. What's wrong with it? MCS calls...

This is one of those "validate my MCS" threads - I can tell! ;-)

Comment

Only reason I can come up with is because RT-700. In for a penny in for a pound, and it’s only a couple hundred more!

This is how everything I buy ends up costing $2000 even when I start out looking at stuff for $500.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        He stands, and raises you $200!

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Get one or the other!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea SmokeyGator that's called budget creep....hate that when it happens !!!

My wife actually was ok with me spending as much as $1800!!!! But looking at that class of system, (spitts n pitts, mak1, CookShack PG500), I'm not sure its twice the machine as the stampede, or even the Grilla SB. Decisions decisions...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd take another look at the MAK, if she's a willin' ... just sayin' !!

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        All the cookers will do a great job cooking. I do believe the higher end units will last longer. I know my Yoder will be there for many more years. One thing to consider with the 700 is the longer warranty.

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        Spend the $1800! If you get a $900 grill then you have a secret $900 stash for other things! It’s cool, nobody here is a snitch

I love my Yoder. However, if you can afford a couple hundred more then I’d go with the bigger one for more cooking surface. You might not want it all the time, but, I’ve never said ‘I wish my grill was smaller.’ Good luck on your search.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have grill envy. 'I' wish your grill was smaller...

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Meant I’d get the bigger Rec Tec if I was you. When I was looking I decided to go with 640 over 480. Wasn’t trying to stir pot. Good luck on your search.

Take the wife's offer while it still stands and get the 700. You'll still have $600 for accessories. You will want the front shelf at least.

Comment

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        After having one without a front shelf, and now mine has one, I have to agree that a front shelf is almost a necessity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9B21D2AE-ADC0-48E1-B97F-0AE176698CE1.jpeg
Views:	8207
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	607083Click image for larger version

Name:	2F00C3D9-39DC-4767-A4C0-B72F8DF363C8.jpeg
Views:	8156
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	607084Click image for larger version

Name:	9DBDD4CD-5539-45C2-A3C6-8389ABEC0E17.jpeg
Views:	10631
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	607085Click image for larger version

Name:	F3E6D509-2AF7-41AC-8B4A-1DB8E01FB319.jpeg
Views:	11041
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	607087 I got a 590 about 3 months ago. Pretty happy with it, the lid isn’t quite as tight as I would like on one side, but the size is fine. I smoked an 11# pork shoulder the other night, easily could’ve had another on. Also has the option of buying an extra shelf if you need it.
      Attached Files

Comment

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        Pellet cookers make the best ribs!

I'll let the cat outta the bag. I broke down this weekend and ordered me up a Stampede! Should hopefully be here just before Christmas!

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        ... 👍 ...

• McEDaddy
        McEDaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice choice. Watching your phone for temperature variations is so nice

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to the unboxing and music! You spoiled us with the last one!

I have Rec Tec Trailblazer and really like it (would say love, but reserve that for very very special people and things). I would not necessarily go for the bigger RT-700 unless you need that kind of cooking space. It is easier to heat up a smaller chamber, easier to clean less surface area, and gets hotter if needed. I usually only cook for the wife and I, so wouldn't want a giant cooker. In any case, I think you would be very happy with a Rec Tec and I feel that I got good value with purchase of mine. The food comes out amazing!

Comment

I pulled the trigger! Stampede is on its way...

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah! Way to go. Let's see what it can do!

• McEDaddy
          McEDaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir. I advise you to use the temp probes on either side of the smoker to calibrate the machine. I had to call customer service and have them walk me thru a calibration run, which I had to run the fire for 69 minutes while the computer learned the auger timing

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Enjoy the adventure

Sorry about piggybacking on this but can anyone tell me how long these pellet grills will run on a hopper if cooking in that 225-250 area? Looking to upgrade from my electric but do not want a stick burner. What I like most about my electric is I can set it for 16 hours and never have to mess with it again for overnight cooks. Will a Rec Tec or Green Mountain run all night? Or are there bridging issues?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends on the pellet cooker MattyV but most use 1 to 2 pounds of pellets per hour. The higher the set point, and the lower the ambient, the more it will consume. Size will increase usage as well.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          AMattyV I just make sure my Yoder hopper is full (20lbs) when I go to bed and have not had a problem. Next morning I check it first thing. I have done this many times with briskets and butts

MattyV I have the RT-680 and it holds 40lbs of pellets in the hopper. I think the longest I've gone was about 12hrs (at 225) and the hopper was probably just under half full after 12hrs. So 16hrs would be no problem. Most other pellet cookers I have looked at have around a 20lb hopper. The Traeger I use to have could hold just under 20lbs and I could get about 12hrs max on it. Hopper size was one of the deciding factors for me on the RT-680.

Comment

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. I unfortunately am probably like the rest of you and have to get the other half's permission to add to the arsenal. Although she never complains about what comes of of them she seems to think 2 grills, a smoker and pizza oven is to much already. I may have to give up a grill for a pellet grill.

Hide them...

Comment

MattyV If I knew then what The Pit has taught me now, I'd be more inclined to go the kettle/fan/Fireboard route. That combo plus the ABCBBQ Trifecta would approach the cost of a good pellet grill, but you would have even better temp control, better smoke flavor and versatility. Plus no moving parts and no electricity required. Depending on the pellet grill, it would provide more capacity than a kettle though. Capacity is really the only true advantage a pellet grill offers in my opinion.

Comment

• MattyV
            MattyV commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure what all that is but if it means I can build something myself I may need to know more. That way I can hide the cost in smaller purchases and construct it at work and say I won it or something. I'm googling it to find out more!

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            The only thing you would have to "build" is drill a 1" hole in a Weber kettle.

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            I like you’re way of thinking. I have a Performer Deluxe but opted to get a WSM. I may some day get a SnS, but for a little bit more money I opted to get a lot more cooking area. Tip, make friends with your local Weber dealer and stay away from the big box stores. He’ll/she’ll hook you up when it’s time for them to reorder.

If it’s charcoal you seek, simply buy charcoal pellets and create a custom blend of pellets? I ran my rec Tec for about 16 hours when I smojed the 11# shoulder, no problems at all. If you are into heavy smoke or the charcoal profile, then the kettle plus slow n sear device will def work better. Also consider a put barrel cooker, it’s charcoal and is pretty much set n forget - I have both, but with my family & work obligations, pellets can’t be beat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here