Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Pellet info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Pellet info

There are different ways to make pellets. Some manufacturers use whole trees, bark and all, grind them up and make pellets.  Some manufacturers use a base wood and add various flavoring oils to impart flavor to the resulting pellets. There are chemicals which can be added to sawdust to "fluff out" the wood during pelleting process.   BBQr's Delight pellets are 100% all natural wood, very clean wood and the pelleting machinery is lubricated with food-grade vegetable oil.

At BBQr's Delight, we take a high BTU, very clean (no bark) base wood (white and red oak sawdust) and add actual flavoring wood sawdust to the oak, blend it and make pellets.  Our blend is approximately 2/3 oak-1/3 flavor wood. Our oak is a very, very mild wood which doesn’t mask the flavor wood added (oak gives a beautiful color though). Our flavoring woods come from a number of sources.  Mesquite we get in Texas, orange we bought an orange grove that was being cut down, apple comes down from Michigan.

Bark tends to produce a bitter smoke. If you’re cooking with bark-on stick wood, that bark is going to burn off quickly. The impact of the bark is not huge on stick wood.  If that bark is in the sawdust wood mass made into pellets, it is mixed throughout the resulting pellets. Burning those pellets will give bitter results.

Don’t buy into the 100% specie necessity. When cooking with a pellet fired cooker, you need a clean burning, high BTU fuel. You can’t do long cooks when your fire pot fills with ash! Ash is another result from bark in the pellets. Except for Mesquite, it’s just ashy by nature. Sand gets imbedded into the wood from harsh Texas winds. At BBQr's Delight, we make and sell 100% specie pellets as well. Over the course of time, I've burned all our BBQ pellets thru a pellet cooker. 100% specie is not necessarily going to produce a smokier meat to eat. It may leave you with cooker issue where you have to finish your meal in the oven!

CandySueQ thanks for that education!

I'm really window shopping for pellet cookers right now, and am partially swinging away from the "bigger is better" concept, and leaning towards the original Grilla, based on yours and others experiences with it. Even Grilla admits it has a better smoke profile than their Silverbac, even though I like the size on that one better. Sadly, I don't have the budget for a Yoder Cimarron (or even a YS640).

When the time comes (and I am thinking it will be in time for Thanksgiving turkey), I'm already planning to stock up on Candy's Contest Mix, as it sounds like the best possible blend (to me) for all around smoking.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Drove thru Huntsville in the rain last Thursday! In spite of what ckreef said in another thread, B&B Champ Blend is my contest mix in one 40# bag. Candy's Contest Mix is one bag of cherry and one of pecan.

• bten
      bten commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering if was the same as your contest mix. I will have to try a bag.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry you had to deal with rain on your way through my neck of the woods CandySueQ! I see your website lists a little place up the road from me as carrying your pellets, but Academy is really close, and says they carry that 40# B&B Champ Blend, so that's the way to for me looks like, when the time comes.

Great write up, thank you for taking the time do educate us a bit.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

I’m. new to pellet cooking but so far I’ve been delighted with the B&B hickory I’m using. I have also found apple, oak, and mesquite locally but still looking for the championship blend. Thanks for the good information.

TX Larry

Comment

Yes, thank you for the information. I found a local source that carries 20# bags in various flavors. I plan to pick up a few bags to try once I deplete the pellets provided with the grill when I purchased it.

Comment

When we bought our Traeger earlier this summer, they threw in 2 bags of Treager pellets. I am not all that impressed with them. One of the bags got a little damp - not wet, but damp - and half of the pellets turned to sawdust. We have the small Traeger Scout model, and I only use it for grilling, but I still need better pellets than that. I'll give the BBQr's Delight a try.

Comment

Like jfmorris I am looking hard at pellet smokers.

I’m torn right now between Grilla Silverbac, the OG, or a Blazin. Been leaning hard towards the Silverbac...

Anyway once I pull the trigger I will be looking for some BBQer’s Delite or some B&B.

great info as usual. Thank you for the share and information.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Nate I'm liking the Silverbac and original Grilla for the price point. The only thing that makes me lean towards the OG, is the fact that even Grilla says it has a better smoke profile than the Silverbac. And of course, it has the cool glass window to see the fire, etc. I like the capacity on the Silverbac, but with the extension grate, think I could live with the OG if it means better smoke.

Thank you for the very useful information CandySueQ . You always give us a very unbiased post on pellets and how they are made and perform. I wish I could find BBQ Delight or B&B in southern Minnesota. Thanks again!

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                The Charcoal Store in Shakopee is my main dealer up there.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              am partially swinging away from the "bigger is better" concept, and leaning towards the original Grilla, based on yours and others experiences with it.
              I find myself leaning the same way ... so much so that my original Grilla is scheduled for delivery in two days. I figured I'd give the Grilla comp blend pellets a chance, but based on CandySueQ 's excellent information (thanks, BTW), I'm betting that I'll be in the market for some BBQr's Delight products real soon.
              Last edited by MBMorgan; September 17, 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Look forward to hearing how you like the Grilla

Nice write up. At first I thought you were just doing a sales pitch. But when you said you don’t need 100% specie wood, even from BBQ’ers Delight. I know you are talking from the heat.
              I give you 👍👍

Comment

Great review! Thanks

Comment

Good information Candy, Thanks. I am having serious temperature control problems with my GMG Jim Bowie. Their tech support blames the problem on my pellets, Pit Boss. The GMG dealer is 50 miles away. After your discussion, I suspect that BBQr's pellets are a higher quality, but I don't know where to buy them here on the Texas Gulf coast. (1) Do you think that the quality of the pellets determines the grill's ability to control the temperature? (2) Where can I buy BBQr's pellets in south Texas?
                  Thanks a million!

Comment

• AmosMoses01
                    AmosMoses01 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Academy has B&B and HEB does too here in Round Rock and Austin.

• bten
                    bten commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have had problems with Pit Boss pellets and temperature control on my Camp Chef, especially at higher temps. I find the B&B are better and the pit works well with them. Again you can get them at Academy or HEB. HEB has them at a lower price than Academy.

Thanks for the information. Are B&B pellets made by BBQr's Delight?

Comment

• bten
                    bten commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, same pellets, different bag. Made by the same company.

Evening all - just pulled the trigger ona rec Tec 590. I got the lecture from the folks there about the dangers of using all fruit wood and to never use mesquite. I ordered 1 bag to the rec Tec competition, but clearly I’m on the forum looking forpellets. What is this B&B????

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here