Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Yoder YS640 Cleanup

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Yoder YS640 Cleanup

So I found this 4 year old YS-640 On CL, and drove 200 miles to pick it up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	In Truck.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	563795

Got it home, It is in fair shape, with Stainless shelves.

Name:	Closed.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	563796

Name:	Open.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	563797

With Cover

Name:	Covered.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	563798

overall, it looks pretty good, with some rust:

Name:	Rust.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	563799

It needs to be recaulked around the fire pot inside the pit. I also plan to replace the decal on the controller and install an gasket kit on it.

After caulking the fire pot, I am confident that I could start using the grill, but I want to clean it up while I still have my camp chef smoke pro.

I plan on pulling the firebox off the comp cart and sand and completely repaint the cooking chamber and hopper. I only need to do a little scraping and cleaning on the inside, it is not that bad.

I will post more pics as I progress through the cleanup.
    Attached Files

Congrats on the nice find! Great looking cooker!

Comment

Congratulations on that find. Great deal and value.

Comment

Super Cool, please keep us along fer this ride!

Comment

Nice! Little restoration and it will be almost like new.

Comment

Congrats on a good find.

Comment

I'm so jealous...

Comment

200 miles? Dang, must have gotten a really good deal !! Emjoy !!

Comment

• bten
                  bten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, It was worth it.

Ya done good.

Comment

Rain, rain, and more rain. I have my supplies and am ready to get started, but we are getting lots of rain every day here in the Houston area.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
                    AmosMoses01 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, up here near Austin we were bone dry much of the summer, but after a week and a half of rain we're wanting a break too. Forecast for the weekend isn't looking to be dry either, and I am jonesing to do some smoking!

Really nice Yoder! Have fun!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

bten How's the cleanup going?

Comment

• bten
                        bten commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It has been raining every day since I picked it up. I have bought my supplies, but don't really have a good place under cover to sand and paint the parts. Frustrating!

I finally got the pit broken down and got the pit off the cart. See below Click image for larger version  Name:	Bottom Rust.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	566993
                      This is the bottom
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Side rust.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	566995

This is the side

Click image for larger version  Name:	inside.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	566994

This is the inside

I have the pit on a 4 wheel furniture dolly. I was able to sand and paint the bottom today. Tomorrow I should be able to start with the rest. I took the door off and all the grates, shelves, etc. to get the weight down.

Looks like they had problems with the cable inside the comp cart being eaten by a rodent. They took short cuts with the wiring that I will have to fix.

I decided to replace the main grates with some stainless ones from Amazon. the plated ones are rusted badly, and I don't want chrome plating pieces on my food. Yoder offers replacements at a reasonable price, but they still are plated.

Hope I am not boring you guys with these details.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No! This is great stuff for current and prospective owners.

• JimLinebarger
                        JimLinebarger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        bten No, not at all. You said you will have to redo some of the wiring. What about the controller? Auger? Pellet shoot? Have you purchased a cover for it?

• bten
                        bten commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The controller and Auger work. It came with a Yoder Cover. The wiring issue is the 110v. feed to the unit. Looks like they had trouble with the cable between the hopper and the Cart. Wires are just pulled out and individually plugged to the back of the connector in the cart. Not wired like it is shown in the manual. I will be correcting that.

Bottom Now painted, the streaky areas will disappear when I heat it up to set the paint

Name:	Bottom Paint.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	567123

I am using Rustoleum 1200 deg. high temp grill paint. Since I am painting the whole pit, I did not see the need to go with Yoder Paint at $15 + shipping a can. Home Depot sells the paint for $4 a can and I can always just go pick one up when I need it. I used this paint on a Weber Genesis Silver B rebuild over a year ago, and it has held up very well.

Comment

• Sephon
                        Sephon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's the same paint I used to refinish my grandfathers Charbroil, works well and lasts a long time. Just make sure you heat it up for a while (as you know)

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here