Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constant GMG auger jams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a d boone, about 6 cooks on it with no problems. been using the gmg pellets, dont know if that makes a difference or not

Comment

I know this may be far fetched but have you checked the electrical power delivery circuit that this grill is hooked up to? These pellet grills are for the most part I am sure designed to run on a 110/120 circuit so what if the voltage in that circuit is dropping to say around 85 to 90 volts at times? Would that be enough to slow the auger down enough so if you had a group of pellets going through it that were just a tad harder than normal it could jam it and stop it all together. Like I said this may be far fetched but I do know that an electrical load can tax some circuits that are not 100 percent so that would seem a logical step to check that part of it especially if you have tried everything else like auger motor, pellet brand, make sure the auger tube is clean. Another thing I thought of is what if the tolerance between the auger and the tube are a little tight? In other words what if the auger tube was bent slightly in one section or the auger itself was not perfectly straight I suppose that could cause a jam in the right circumstance. Just some thoughts?

Comment

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        to add to this, are you using a long extension cord? Whet is the wire size?

I've had my Daniel Boone for close to three years now and never had a jam. I tried the lumberjack pellets when my grill was newer but found the auger was making some strange noises that I never heard with other brands of pellets. I have used the BBQ Delight, Green Mountain and CookinPellets extensively I also tried a single bags of Myron Mixons and Louisiana Grills. The only time I ever heard sustained strange noises was with the Lumberjack pellets. My first thought is to change pellet brands and see what happens. I also have my pellet grill outside under a small bbq gazebo where it sits year round. I did purchase an extension cord in a very heavy gauge special for the grill to make sure I did not suffer any substantial voltage drops. Good Luck and I hope you can get it figured out, would be extremely frustating I'm sure.

Comment

There is no problem with the voltage or auger motor power. The cotter pin connecting the auger motor to the auger shaft, is sheared off (twice). It takes a lot of torque to do that. The auger gets seized up in the tube. Any reasonable suggestions will be most appreciated.

Comment

I bought some Jack Daniels Old No 7 pellets made by BBQ Delight and have been using them in my Grilla Silverback, when in use the auger makes some popping noises with these pellets as they feed through the auger. I have used nothing but BBQ Delight pellets in this grill since new but have never heard these noises with any other pellets (mostly apple) so I suspect that these Jack Daniel pellets are a little harder than the other BBQ Delight pellets that I have used. While I have never had a jam so far it is a little UN-nerving to hear these noises. I also have this grill hooked up with a heavy duty 10 foot 10 gauge extension cord so I know the power supply is consistent.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Jack Daniel's is harder and the last bag I opened had some LONG pellets. That sound is the auger crunching on them.

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have noticed that also about the LONG pellets but the more I use it the better it gets.

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            I have found that the PIT Boss pellets have long pellets as well and tend to bridge more

My DB pops pretty good sometimes but never a jam. Pellets would be my guess, but it's just a guess. I buy Perfect Mix on Amazon.

Comment

I am pretty sure lumberjack pellets are a smaller diameter pellet than most just like the Smoke Ring BBQ Pellets I use are smaller. This is due to the die size they use to produce them. Length varies from pellet to pellet and the auger shears them off on the edge of the auger tube as they are fed from the hopper, hence the popping noise you hear. Smoke ring claims less stress on your motor as they are easier to break apart and I have not had any problems with any of my pellet feeders although not a GMG. It may possibly be in the design of your feed tube that the smaller diameter pellets pack tighter and if the clearances are larger between the auger tube and auger this may cause a jam, just a thought, hope this helps.

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry for not getting back to you all regarding my issues with the auger jams. So, GMG had me take my grill to the local shop to have them work on it for me. They ended up replacing the control board, auger unit, thermo and the both fans. That is everything except for the steel of the grill itself. I got the call that the grill was ready to go so I picked it up and brought it home.

I jammed again on the third cook! I was able to clear that jam and continued. The next day it was jammed again. At this point GMG just replaced the complete grill. And the regional distributor came to my home and picked up the old grill cause they wanted to send it back to GMG to see what was happening with it. I'm sure I will never know what the issue was.

Anyhow, just wanted to share with you that GMG took good care of me.

Tim

Comment

• bten
                bten commented
                Editing a comment
                Impressive customer service. Glad to see they did the right thing!

• dahcopilot
                dahcopilot commented
                Editing a comment
                curious, did you ever change pellets?

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully you will have better luck in the future. Let us know if you have any more issues. Stories like these really help your fellow members out!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here