Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMG Davey Crockett Random Power Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG Davey Crockett Random Power Off

After a little over a year and 12 cooks at most, my Davey Crockett pellet grill just shuts off for no apparent reason mid cook. Sometimes right after reaching temp sometimes much later in the cook. Anyone else have experience with this?

I did contact GMG customer service who responded immediately with the suggestion I run it on DC without the AC adapter to isolate either the AC adapter or the control board. Haven't had an opportunity yet to drag it out to the truck cig lighter to test this out and thought I'd check with everyone here in the mean time. Other thoughts / ideas?

Sorry I have no help for you directly, but jump on the FaceBook Member Site. There is a ton of help on there.
    Green Mountain Grill Owners is the group name.

Comment

I have problems with the cigarette lighter power connection. It’s difficult to get it to stay on initially, but once it starts , it usually stays on. I plan to make a new, different kind of connector, probably bullets.

I have had my controller board replaced twice now. Been lots of issues.

When you say it stops, is the power off, the display is dark?

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Display shows "Off", wifi app reports no grill connected.

• SierraBBQGuy
        SierraBBQGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, so you aren’t losing power, I’d bet it’s the controller board. The tech support is pretty good.

I wonder if you would take the board out, unplug it then plug it back in. That might reset it, plus you can check the connections.

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good thought. Moving it around by myself isn't a delicate process and perhaps I've knocked a connection loose.

This has happened to me a couple times, so I'm interested in hearing what others say. Sometimes I have startup issues as well, where it takes 2-3 times through the startup cycle before the temp starts going up past about 75 degrees. Doesn't seem to get a steady stream of pellets and/or doesn't ignite the initial pellets in the box well enough to get the burn going correctly. I clean the fire box after every cook and add roughly the amount of pellets to the box as came in a little bag with the unit when new, but the initial startup doesn't always "take". I've been reasonably happy with it, just some annoying issues at times.

Comment

Yup, I’ve learned I have to clean out the burn pit every cook. Before I start it up, I load in a handful of pellets directly into the pit. Also, if you keep it outside, and I see you live in a humid area, the pellets can absorb too much moisture, making for a crappy cook.

Overall, I’ve learned to live with it, but can’t say I highly recommend it. I only found one other easily portable unit at the time, a Traeger. I got this for the RV.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here