Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vault smoker - Camp Chef Smokepro XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vault smoker - Camp Chef Smokepro XXL

Long version,
    For the last 5 years I've been using a decent homebuilt offset stickburner I got off craigslist for $40. The performance is OK, limited by the guy running it, not the equipment. (Hey that's why I'm here!)

My problem is as my kids get busier I wind up using the thing maybe 3-4 times a year. I just don't have many days where I can spend 12 hours tending it.

So I've been looking for a pellet smoker so I could actually use it more often. Most of the time I'm cooking for probably 10-15 people. However, a couple times a year I have some big events where it would be awesome if I could feed 50.

That's why the Camp Chef smokepro xxl caught my eye.

Does anyone have any experience with this model? More Generally is there anything inherently better or worse than the more normal (horizontal cylinder) pellet grills?

Is there usually a big temp difference top to bottom? I thought I read somewhere (I thought it was here, but I can't find it) about heat/smoke shadow effect where if you have 4 briskets stacked vertically the top one doesn't get much heat or smoke. Is that the case?

Attached Files

No experience with it but sure looks cool.

Comment

Max Good

Comment

Check out the Rec Tec.............In my opinion, best on the market

Comment

I have no experience with Camp Chef pellet smokers, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm impressed with how much cooking area it provides for that price point. If you get it, please give us a review (and pictures, of course). I might be in the market for one of these to supplement my main smoker.

Comment

We haven't tested this model, but think highly of Camp Chef products. It has similarities to their other pellet smokers: same controller and convenient ash removal cup. If you need beaucoup capacity, this sure is worth looking at. They're currently out of stock on this model, but expect a new batch next month.

Comment

• luhnlaw
              luhnlaw commented
              Editing a comment
              Max: Did you get one to test. My biggest concern is that it is way more capacity-wise than I need.I'm usually cooking for 2-4 or maybe 4-6. That said, I've got a perfectly good Weber Genesis 3-burner, so I sure don't need another grill. Please comment or keep us posted if you get a tester. Thanks a bunch! C

• Max Good
              Max Good commented
              Editing a comment
              We do not currently plan to test this model. One of the selling points for upright cabinet smokers is the high capacity provided by a stack of slide out racks. If you want lower capacity, smaller smokers are available. That said, if you go big, the first time you have a party, you be glad you did. Weber Genesis is a great grill, but a dedicated smoker can't be beat for ribs, brisket, etc..

Is the cooking chamber insulated? If so, temp variation is likely smaller and pellet consumption is lighter. I'm not familiar with this one. It does look neat!

Comment

So, Cool Hand Luke, did you get one?

Comment

Don’t know but I do know that Luke be a "world beater"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here