Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A used Yoder ys640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A used Yoder ys640

there is somebody selling a used yoder ys 640 in my area for 1k. The manufacture date is may of 2013. He said its working fine and cost 1800 new with all the options. My question is do you think a 1000 bucks is a good price or should it be lower. I think they are around 1600 new. If it is worth it is there anything specific I should inspect on it before I pull the trigger?

Just wanted to say welcome to The Pit! I don' knwo much about resale values of pellet cookers really, but $1,000 to me seems a bit high for something 4+ years old, especially if it was put through heavy use and might need some parts maintained soon...but again I'm kinda ignorant if that's actually good or if it's a bit high. I'd ask if any maintenance or part replacements have been done recently, and what. Seems like ignitors and auger motors are the things to worry about needing replaced, but this is only my memory from reading things. The base ones are ~$1500 new, but with add-ons a person could go near $3K, so $1800 could easily be what the person paid. Like a car, it depends on what needs done, what's just been done, etc.

Comment

Welcome Miken68

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I don't have a Yoder, so I couldn't say whether the price is worth it. I can say that pellet cookers in general need a certain amount of care. The pellet feed system is an electro-mechanical gizmo and has several parts that should be inspected. There is also at least one fan (my GMG has two fans). And the controller, the brains that run the fan and pellet feed system should be verified functional.

Again, Yoder has a great reputation and I don't own one, so I can't say what a good price would be. You may want to contact Yoder directly to see what parts cost.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

You can probably negotiate him or her down. I'd go look at it. I'm guessing it must be in good condition.

Comment

Here is one way you might come up with a value for anything. First, determine what the bottom dollar is for the oldest one you might find would be. For example, if you could find a 15 year old unit in good condition, maybe you would pay $100 for it? Then figure out what you would have to pay new. Let's pretend in this case it is $1700. Figure it goes from new price to bottom price in 8 years. So it has to lose $200 per year and it is 4 years old, pay no more than $900 for it. If it needs any parts, adjust down from there.

This is a non scientific solution, and it isn't how cars are valued, it's just a way to come up with a top number. Using my method, if he is right they are $1800 new and the bottom number is $200, then he has it priced right. The biggest problem with this method is that it won't help you come to an agreement on price, but maybe you can justify it in your head.

Welcome to the pit, hopefully you can get a satisfactory deal.

Comment

I have a Y640. I have a newer model and I LOVE it! I have been against pellet cookers in the past as I like a heavier smoke flavor on my Q. The Yoder produces a fantastic flavor. The cookers are well made and customer service is top notch. I received an email response on a question from them within 5 minutes.

One thing to consider on a smoker is the price for shipping. It usually runs in the hundreds, driving the actual cost higher than retail. I say if the cooker is clean and taken care of, this is a fair price.

Take care,

Jamie

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota. Good luck with the Yoder! They are well built.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. If it looks good, ask him to start it up to make sure it runs well. If you want to really make sure it's operating correctly, take a brisket and throw it on the Yoder.

Comment

That is a really hard question to answer. When I tinker around with Craigslist I find the following: You can get stick burners from time to time for almost nothing compared to their original price. They are not in abundance, though. My assumption is that people gravitate away from stick burning for one reason or another. Weber's are really common on the list but don't really lose their value. I see dents or other flaws if the price is low. Where I live I almost never see Kamados or pellet grills for sale on the list. I have always assumed that people just don't sell their Kamados and that when a pellet goes it has something to do with the pellet mechanism. I don't live in a heavily populated area so the sample size on Craigslist is not great.

Comment

If practical have the seller fire it up to see that everything still functions. If you have a digital thermometer then check various areas of the grill and see how well it compares to the unit's temps. I have an older Traeger that I try to update/upgrade every couple of years, and it can run a couple hundred dollars or more depending on what I do to it. Some of that is necessary maintenance, some cosmetic. Price point is between seller and buyer and their vision of value. Remember the old adage: caveat emptor.

Comment

CaptainMike I had not seen that on Craigslist. That's a find. I have been spending a day a week cutting oak on a co-workers property. Cal Fire (I still want to type CDF) advised him to get rid of all burned trees. Green in the middle, black on the outside. He has about 36 acres worth. He pushes them down with the dozer and we cut them up. Even though it is still green, I have used a couple of the smaller pieces on my Santa Maria. Maybe because they have been burned once, they ignite so much easier than my seasoned oak. If you know anyone that wants free firewood down this way let me know. All they need is a chainsaw and a truck or trailer.

Anyhow, he has a 40 year old Kamado from Japan. It is big and amazing and cooks like a charm. He would never sell that thing.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I hope you're not planning on cutting next weekend! Too hot for me. I wish I were a little closer, though, and not in the middle of a significant remodel or I'd come take you up on your offer. There's a feisty redhead that lives here and she's going on and on about not having a kitchen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0528.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	371367Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0526.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	371368

CaptainMike -I've been cutting early once a week. I have a Stihl saw and Husqvarna chaps - kind of like wearing Adidas shoes and a Nike shirt. Oh, well! With the protective gear it gets hot fast. No cutting past 11am right now due to the heat. The wood isn't going anywhere fast so if you get done with the kitchen before the winter come and get some. I'm taking a pick-up load each time. That equates to about 1/3 a cord a trip.
                        Last edited by tbob4; August 29, 2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wives think they're so funny. Yours is, by the way.

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          CaptainMike - I just read her your assessment of her humor and she laughed very loudly, saying "See, it IS funny!" Oh well, I guess I have to admit that it is and give her some credit for the joke.

• PaulstheRibList
                          PaulstheRibList commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A couple of chords is a super great stockpile! (Unless you are cooking huge cooks all the time...)

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                        If practical have the seller fire it up to see that everything still functions. If you have a digital thermometer then check various areas of the grill and see how well it compares to the unit's temps. I have an older Traeger that I try to update/upgrade every couple of years, and it can run a couple hundred dollars or more depending on what I do to it. Some of that is necessary maintenance, some cosmetic. Price point is between seller and buyer and their vision of value. Remember the old adage: caveat emptor.
                        I agree with this comment a lot. You definitely want to test drive it to make sure it works ok. Pellet grills have electronics and moving parts and like all things with electronics and moving parts, they can break.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here