Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions regarding Camp Chef Woodwind Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seemed like the best deal out there and I trust this website's reviews, so I have one coming in by the 7th so I'll report back on how this goes. I really hate learning a new system. I have a Big Steel keg, WSM 18.5, and a Weber Proformer.

Comment

GDavis,
      I got mine after reading reviews here too. I've gotten some pretty good results with the unit and think it's worth it. Have yet to try the gas grill.... it's installed, but have not fired it up yet. Maybe this weekend.... will see....but the smoker is good. Did some picnic cuts for long hours, till internal temps reached 203. First time, no crutch. These turned out very nice. second time did use the foil wrap and it pulled through stall much faster. Second time the picnic cuts turned out even better.

In any case, hope you like the unit. I would recommend get some good aluminum foil and give the drip tray a good wrap before first use. I got the non-stick Reynolds wrap. It's easier to clean up afterwards. Also consider confirming that you have placed items completely under the drip tray, so that fat won't melt and drip through gap between the edge of the drip tray and the smoker itself.

Last but not least, get a good thermometer probe. The one that comes with the cooker is not that good... it's just kind of ok, but barely ok. You'll see what I mean when you get the unit.

It outs out lots of smoke, it works very well and it's easy to clean too. Some folks recommmed getting a shop vacuum. I've not done that yet, but will soon. For now, I just let it cool, replace the aluminum foil, collect the ashes, degrease the grate and leave it ready for the weekend. Rinse and repeat type of thing. BTW... ribs turn out just amazing. We've done several racks, baby and St. Louis, they turn out Juice, tasty and with not much effort. Dust them, set smoker at 225 and forget about them for 4 1/2 hours.

On the maintenance and cleanup front, I have hosed it down a couple of times since I bough it, and it's still looking like brand new. I got it 2 months ago or so, I realize not much time has passed, but I can see it's hold up better than I would have thought. Particularly after several very long cooks. I'm talking 15 hrs non stop.

I hope you enjoy your new smoker and that you get lots of great results from it.

Cheers,
      Ricardo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here