Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMG Daniel Boone Cleaning and Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG Daniel Boone Cleaning and Maintenance

Those of you who are owners of a Daniel Boone, I have a question about cleaning. I've never seen dirty smoke come out of my smoker, but I have noticed some seemingly "sooty" food coming off the grill. I have also noticed that when cleaning out the ash in the fire pot and the bottom of the smoker with my shop vac, there is some thicker deposits of tar like material. I'm asking about this because i'm not sure if this is normal or not...

I didn't take a picture of the bottom of the grill, but here is a picture of what I am seeing in the chimney and the chimney "lid". The material that's on the chimney lid closely resembles what i'm seeing in the bottom of the grill. I just find it odd, because again, I haven't seen any dirty looking smoke coming out of the smoker.

I have two thoughts...

1. I clean the grates sometimes with Weber grill grate cleaner and simply wipe it down with a paper towel without rinsing it with water. Not sure if this would be an issue or not.
    2. I have dumped in some "bottom of the bag" pellets that were basically just saw dust so I was thinking maybe this could have caused some sort of clogging in the auger system, but then again, I would expect to see dirty smoke.

What are all of your thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.JPG
Views:	1987
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	229462

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.JPG
Views:	1849
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	229463

Sawdust. Don't dump the bottom of the bag. Below is my post for the same issue. I can't say if there are other problems with your setup, like 2 fingers parellel to the ground space between your smokestack and it's cover. My problem with soot was from sawdust. I smoked meat after a good clean out with no sooty food. I also never have used any soaps or solvents. Nothing more than a wet (not dropping wet) rag. Pellets smokers and water do not get along at all. Let us know if you get it resolved.

Comment

Scrape all that gunk out of the burn pot too. It's likely dirty wood that is smoldering causing dirty smoke. Vacuum with wipe down worked for mine.

Comment

If I've done a lot of low & slow cooks, I'll crank the GMG up to 450-500 to burn off some of the gunk (15-20 minutes). When the chamber cools it is much easier to scrape & vac out the waste.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
          SMOG MAN commented
          Editing a comment
          Just be careful not to cause a grease fire if she is really gunked up.

This whole discussion gives me pause. I am thinking of buying a pellet smoker, but don't need problems - or fa lot of hard work cleanup. Are these problems typical of pellet smokers. I have a PBC that works fine! Please advise. Thanks!

Comment

• SMOG MAN
          SMOG MAN commented
          Editing a comment
          Pellet smokers are great, like any tool will require some specific cleaning methods and care that if you error to the side of caution and learn as you go, study and make good choices I would think you might have fun and make great food.

You have to keep a pellet fired pit clean. If that's too much work, stick to sticks or charcoal. Though I'd point out that I'm a clean freak on my stick burner and charcoal pits too...

Comment

• Jon Fuelleman
          Jon Fuelleman commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and keeping it clean is not difficult. Takes less than 10 minutes + a shop vac. While you're at it, replace the aluminum foil on your top plate and make sure your grease channel is clear and letting your grease reach the drip pot.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here