Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitt's and Spitt's pellet grill impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitt's and Spitt's pellet grill impressions

Took a plunge and purchased a new Pitt's and Spitt's pellet grill!

Some history: I have had a couple of backyard cookers, I currently own a Hasty Bake Legacy and a Weber Genesis gas grill. At one point I did own a big WSM, but I ended up selling it. I love my HB, and consider it the finest charcoal cooker out there and have that thing down to a science for just about everything but big pieces of meat. It just runs too hot and while it is a master at anything over 300 degrees, keeping mine in the low 200 range is difficult and time consuming, this is just my experience though and I have friends with HB's who can nail a brisket.

I was considering a stick burner and looked at yoder, gator, klose and pitt's and spitt's, but I veered towards pellet grills after doing research online and talking to some retailers. With a 2 year old son and another one on the way, I just didn't think i would have the time, or sanity, to tend to a stick burner.

A buddy of mine recently purchased a "U1830" from Pitt's and Spitt's and I was really impressed but knew I wasn't going to get one. I started researching pellet grills online and went to BBQ Outfitters and BBQ Mercantile (RIP) in Austin. The Memphis pellet grills looked great, but were extremely expensive, I then looked at the Traeger at the store, but wasn't too fond of the build quality.

This all comes back to another retailer I visited that had other P&S models and then had a Yoder YS640. I almost pulled the trigger on the Yoder right then and there but decided to go back and home and stew on it. That night I saw on P&S instagram (yes, I follow BBQ joints and pit builders on instagram) a post about their pellet grill but couldn't find any other information so I called them the next day and spoke with Ryan Zboril at P&S about the pg. He said it's their foray into the pellet market and they'll be revealing a lot more soon enough but he told me the model I was looking at was a U1830 with a hopper on the side instead of a firebox. That leads to him delivering my unit to me from Houston while he was also delivering several other units to stores in Austin that sell their pits.

On to the goods, there are captions with the pictures, but I'll also describe them below:

It's a solid unit and a heavy unit. SS lid looks great and it's easy pull back with the roll top feature. It's also easy to maneuver with the handles on the opposite side of the pit from the hopper. It came with a tshirt and a probe meat thermometer that plugs into the PID. The PID is intuitive, but I definitely felt better after reading it. There is not a thermometer in the hood (good!) and the range of the PID only goes to a set 450, but if you hit max, it will go pedal to the metal to the extent that the unit can. I didn't run it at full blast, but I will next time and post the temperature. P&S said it gets north of 500, so that doesn't match my HB with a full firebox an inch away from the grate, but not many other grills save a kamado can push out temps like my HB.

I seasoned it using the directions that came with it. After a while at 350 I put a premade Central Market pizza on the lower grate since that was what my pregnant wife was craving, and that's what she'll get.

Overall I am impressed, but need to really put it to work with big chunks of meat. From a build standpoint, it's really nice and puts my weber and HB to shame. The SS grate is one piece, and seems to be the same quality as the nicer weber summit grill grates come with. I did not know it was coming with the SS grate and was very happy when I saw that addition.

Let me know if you all have any questions and I'll be posting more when I cook more.

edit: The discoloration you see on the SS lid is where I peeled off the that laser sticky stuff that stainless is shipped with. Some of it was already off, thus it's dirtier.
    Last edited by RanchoStarvo; July 17, 2016, 08:34 PM.

Nice. Been a while since I been to their website. I'm three hours from Houston.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 17, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

That is a very nice looking cooker.

Comment

Beautiful! And congrats on the other bun in oven! You're right, a stickburner is not up your alley at this stage of the game. My wife was real good about me tending the stickburner when our kids were little, it was her trade off I think for not having to cook, she dealt with the munchkins while I was outside as long as I loaded the dishwasher too. But then on non-cook days I had my share of diapers and bouncing to sleep and such.

Comment

• RanchoStarvo
          RanchoStarvo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes one day I'll get a big offset for home, but I have enough gadgets and cookers hanging around that there won't be much room to entertain on the patio.

Niccccceeeee

Comment

Looks like a Traeger, but built like a tank. I wonder if it cooks any differently. I have a Traeger now and am really just kind of over it. Pellets just don't seem to give the type of flavor I crave that you get with stick burners. Really interested in your results...I'm actually in Houston.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here