Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking new SAFI grill/smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dadof3Illinois - Continued from above: What I'm trying to achieve at this time is a low n slow smoker with set it and forget it capability. As I said to RonB above - I had a bummer of a day yesterday chasing temps during a low n slow chuck roast smoke using the above mentioned protocol. Temps were all over the map from 199 - 281. I confess that I had some leakage between the smoker and the lid, which I've since cleaned up but a nearly 100 degree swing is untenable
    ANY help greatly appreciated!!
    Peace, Nunyaz (Nature Coast of Florida, Zone 9b)

Comment

[QUOTE=RonB;n1326584]OK. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well it works.

The idea behind the SnS is to have a small hot fire to keep the temp low for a long cook while producing clean smoke. By placing the lit coals in one corner, the fire will slowly burn across the unlit coals without too many burning at any one time.

"small hot fire" ... Ha! I've learned (more than once, I'm sorry to say), that dumping a full chimney of fully engaged briquettes (or worse, B&B Lump!) is NOT the way to go low OR slow ... LOL 😂

Finally found the kettlepitmasterbbq.com link and videos to help me with understanding how to get low n slow in a kettle, just haven't figured out how to make it work for me

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll lite 6-8 briq's and let them ash over, then drop 2-3 chunks of wood in the bottom of the SnS and then cover with remaining charcoal of choice. I can maintain some really good temps, +- 30 degrees for hours this way. Also remember that wind is your enemy, it can steal your heat if the kettle isn't protected.
        I do from time to time use a fan and electronic controller which will keep the temps pretty rock solid wherever i want them to be.

You start with a SMALL hot fire for low and slow in a kettle. I have a 22" Weber with SNS and start with 8-12 coals in one corner, lit with a weber cube. I wait until their asked over, then spread coals out next to them (NOT on top of them).

Now... It doesn't hold rock solid, perfect temps. Some of that is because the lid leaks and I havent applied the Lavalock gasket. But the temps vary slowly over time and I just don't think it matters much if the temp is 240 vs 280. Yes, it will affect cook time, but I smoke on days when I don't care about that since I'm around all the time.

If you want tight temps, get and install a fan controller. I've thought about it, but I'm more inclined to get a Bronco since it's not that much more money than a fan+FB unit.

Obviously a pellet rig is S&F, but a) lighter smoke profile, b) When I'd want to run it is late fall through early spring when it's also rainy and I'm leery of the pellets getting damp and swelling.

Comment

• nunyaz
        nunyaz commented
        Editing a comment
        rick gregory - understood, sorry that you're in the seatac area with so much damp weather keep your powder dry

• nunyaz
        nunyaz commented
        Editing a comment
        Rickgregory - also, I noticed my Weber kettle leaking a LOT around the lid. Did a 'burn-off' and scrubbed it with a ball of aluminum foil and was amazed at how much gunk came off and how greatly improved was the lack of leak
        Peace,
        Nunyaz

nunyaz
      The method you are referring to, now known as the minion method is exactly how I have done it on the kettle for a couple of decades .
      No issues at all running 8n hours at 225 or below. Set and forget ..not really as i always checked it every couple hours but almost never needed to adjust temp just tap the coals to remove ask and add wood. I cook it year round. Burns a bit faster in the cold but very doable. I regularly do 16 hour brisket and butt cooks and you saw the pics of my rib setup earlier.
      On thge kettle it is all about the vents. Here for me I put maybe a chimney of un-lit coals in a bank and may 8-10 lit on top and 1/4 open on the bottom vent and about 1/3 rd on top vent and Bobs your Uncle!

Only difference on the SNS is 10 lit in the corner of the empty bin, then fill the rest with unlit and your wood.

Don’t give up on the kettle, its what made this thing or ours and continues to out cook many many of todays gadgets and cookers.

This is all of course just the ramblings of an aging redneck…

Comment

• nunyaz
        nunyaz commented
        Editing a comment
        CHNeal, you've brought a LOT of good info to the discussion, don't minimize that with "ramblings of an aging redneck ..."
        BTW - me and minion snake WAY back LOL 😂 (my understanding is the only difference is lighting in the middle - i.e. minion; vs lighting one end - aka snake, no?)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here