Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me choose!!! RT-700, CC Woodwind wifi 36, or YS640s... or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only skimmed this thread, but I started out with a Traeger Texas and then a RT680. For me pellet grills were maddeningly frustrating during summer time here. I know temp fluctuations of +/-20deg is no big deal. However, in the dead of summer here trying to hold 250 is impossible. With both grills the only way I could do it was to prop open the lid with tin foil. That was what recteq support suggested after many calls. Otherwise temps spent more time at 300+.

Since our area is so hot most of the year, I'd recommend a kettle or two with the fan/controller mods. The only thing pellet grills have on that is capacity.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Yes, Recteq does have PID controllers. I too adjusted the P settings as well. I even swapped out the controller when they came out with the Wi-Fi version that was also supposed to an improved controller. I just think when it's well over 100 degrees pellet cookers struggle with low temps. Was definitely the case with the two cookers I used to have. Maybe they weren't on the extreme high end, but they weren't el cheapos either.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod I think a lot of controllers have minimum run times to try to avoid flameouts. So, it don’t know that it matters how expensive or cheap the pellet grill is, it’s more about how well the logic is implemented. The hotter it is, the more delicate that line would be between keeping 225 and flaming out, so I agree there’s some basis behind your claim. I think some controllers can do it better than others though.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      However, if you’re at min temps and falling back on timing logic , that magical 225 doesn’t matter so much as the pellet grill should still producing about its max smoke output, meat is just going to spend less time in the ideal absorbing range. Plus, i totally get not wanting to still be 300 plus. However, I would think 250-275 in this scenario would still produce good results.

I love this thread! Everyone has been extremely helpful in sharing their preferences and experiences and knowledge - very much appreciated. Where I'm at so far, I think I've narrowed it down to either the RT-700, YS-640, or MAK 2. While the RecTec was my initial front runner, now the MAK may be in front now... and of course its out of stock! Not my final decision yet anyhow and I can be patient (maybe), but will let you all know where I land. And if anyone wishes to inquire I'm happy to share details of my deliberations and why smokers like CC and Grilla didn't make my list.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Big Poppa Smokers also sells MAK, no idea if Sterling has any in stock though. Also, there’s a MAK Pellet Grill Fans FB page that occasionally has used ones for sale. I think you’ve narrowed down to 3 pretty solid choices. It’s really about finding the one that fits you and what/how you want to cook. Most of the absurd number I’ve had have all been pretty decent grills. I would think MAK would be most likely to be able to keep cooler temps in AZ heat, but no experience with cooking in 115°.

• GatorBoy
      GatorBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy, I read your previous post about your experience using your Mak 2 and that was a big influence. Did you do similar write-ups for either the RT-700 or Y640s?

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      GatorBoy LOL, unfortunately I have not had either of those or I would share anything I knew gladly. Memphis, Traeger, CampChef, GMG, Weber, and MAK I’ve had though. Yoder and Recteq have been on the short lists though, just ended up being not what I thought I wanted. I have issues with horns and censored reviews, so that’s what always bumps RT out.

I am late to this discussion but support everything Glitchy has stated. When I went through this search I ended up with a Blazn' Grid Iron. I chose that cooker because it was insulated, had a pull out ash pot (don't need to remove grate and deflector to clean out ashes), and it was less money (only by a few hundred) than the MAK 2 Star. I really like this grill I use it at least 5 days a week for my style of cooking. It can sear up top 4 steaks at a time with the sear kit, though I would not choose it to grill hamburgers and hot dogs or any other true grilling task. As with all pellet grills it has a low smoke profile. It is built like a tank in America. The steel is heavy duty and double walled. Makes the Home Depot machines seem like tin.

I am getting some rust but it is minor so far. I think you would be fine in AZ. Good luck on your journey!
    Last edited by Old Glory; August 25, 2021, 03:42 AM.

Comment

PBC, PBJ, PBC!

Comment

Check out the The Traeger Ironwood 885. Great machine for price, performance, and size. I have 9 grills and I call that one Goldilocks on my app.

Comment

I'll speak from my experience! My newest pellet smoker is a Rec Tek Bullseye. I haven't cooked on it enough to form an opinion, but I do know I'm going to drill a hole in the lid to let more air in the cooking chamber. Takes too long to get up to temp.

As far as temp range, the original Grilla has the widest swing. Love my MAK 2 star, it's the cadillac of pellet grills. Yoder is a tank! Any model Yoder makes. Blaz'n Grills are just as heavy metal.

Got to say the Davy Crocket Green Mountain is a slick portable grill, but at $399 it's a bargain. I took a brand new Davy to a contest, cooked a turkey breast and won 1st. It's earned a place on the contest rig (Woodmaster Mini Hog, not made any longer).

This time of year be on the lookout for closeouts at the big box stores. You may find a bargain that can give you an inexpensive pellet grill experience. I have friends who love their Pit Boss smokers. I am intrigued by the vertical models and have my eyes peeled for one.

There really is no perfect cooker (pellet or charcoal or gas)! Just get what works for you and save money for meat to cook on it.

Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here