Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "Which Grill" ? up to $5000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my MAK, and most complaints I have about my 2014 model have been addressed in new versions. It's the only really high-end pellet grill I've cooked on.

I would echo others the customer service is just out of this world. Every interaction has been prompt, helpful, and generally awesome. Getting inside to do an upgrade or replace (eg igniter) is also pretty easy.

I've also used in all kinds of weather (incl snow), left uncovered with pellets in hopper for weeks...it is a tank.

The only 2 things that would make me hesitate if buying a new one:

Ash cleanup. You don't need a vacuum, but at least my vintage you need to remove a lot of parts to get to the removable fire pot. Means in practice I don't empty as often as I should, and particularly avoid in the rain. Some manufacturers (eg camp chef) let you empty ash from below instead which is incredibly easy. Not sure if this applies to any of the ones you listed. But I think Lone Star does it right.

Wifi. It works, mostly.. But it's not super reliable, and a little clunky.

If I were in your shoes right now I'd be very tempted to try Lone Star given the features and their reputation.. But MAK has many happy users (like me!), and think Lone Star still too new for anyone to have real experience with it.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      do you have current firmware? They fixed the majority of wifi reliability issues almost a year ago. But yeah, it's still a clunky thing. But, just like the MAK it's simple and it works

Hmm I have updated a couple of times but may be out of date. The biggest issue I have is it drops connection, which wouldn't be a huge deal except that dropping connection also drops the temp down to 170, and you can't re-establish without physically going back to the grill. So if I'm actually going to be away for a few hours (or asleep) then I end up turning off wifi since it's not worth the risk of having my temp drop. Have they changed that behavior - either so it keeps its temp after losing connection, or so it can get connection back without going back to the grill to turn wifi off and back on?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      das85 Yes, the new firmware addresses that issue. Now, if it loses WiFi, the Pellet Boss controller leaves the temp at whatever setpoint it is at, that is, any setpoint below 350*. Now no worries if you lose wifi during a long, low-n-slo cook. The firmware also does a much better job of staying connected, so the above fix may never be used.

• das85
      das85 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks GolfGeezer and ItsAllGoneToTheDogs that's great info. Will at least get in queue for firmware update or maybe just send in my pellet boss. That will be a real help.

Thanks for the input everyone. I order the MAK All-Stainless MAK Two-Star General Grill today.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats! Great choice. Now the hard part begins...the wait for delivery.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here