Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "Which Grill" ? up to $5000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "Which Grill" ? up to $5000

I plan on getting a pellet smoker and have the same questions that have been asked many times. Which pellet Grill; I’m open to the following and any others that meet my needs although I hope to get the list shorter, not longer;

MAK Grills 2 Star General
    Yoder YS640S Yfi
    Memphis Pro
    Pitts & Spitts
    Cookshack Fast Eddy’s

I had decided to buy a Yoder YS640S Yfi with Competition cart and just moved up the waiting list due to a cancelation. While researching I read the Yoder can be susceptible to rust. While I realize forums tend to blow issues out of proportion, I live in the damp PNW and rust is a concern.

I currently own a stainless steel LYNX L42PSFR Gas grill that is holding up very well after 5 plus years. My patio isn’t covered and I do grill in the rain and since I don’t like putting the cover over a wet grill, I leave it uncovered until it clears up and the grill dries. That doesn’t seem to hurt the grill at all. I am considering adding an awning so I can put the cover on as soon as the grill cools.

Based on that I am leaning towards a stainless steel pellet grill and since for the time being I plan on keeping the gas grill, high temperature searing with the infrared burner can be covered with gas. Of course, if I find the gas grill goes unused after getting a pellet grill, I may sell it and save some space. I do cook a lot of stakes on the LYNX and have it dialed in pretty well although without any smoke flavor added.

I like the fact MAK includes high quality stainless and seems to excel in smoking. I also like the fact it is made just over the Washington border in Oregon. The only concern is the cart and smaller wheels. I have a stamped concrete patio that makes rolling a bit bumpy and I hope to be able to wheel it around the side of the house over 10 yards of lawn and up a slight ramp into a planned shed when needed. The Yoder seems perfect for this and the Pitts & Spitts also has an 8 inch wheel option.

As empty nesters I usually don’t need a lot of cooking space but I do have three kids that bring their significant others over and we occasionally entertain groups of friends. I can’t know what I’ll typically cook not having a smoker before but know there will be lots of ribs, chicken and vegetables since in addition to steak, I use the grill of those already. I’m looking forward to adding many more BBQ meats to the menu once I get a pellet grill.

Other considerations: I have two dogs that love to lick up grease if accessible and how easy is it to keep clean (I would purchase a decent ash vacuum).

Thanks.

There is a very detailed thread here that focuses on a similar decision and a similar set of pellet smokers.

I said I would walk through my thought process for how I chose a particular premium pellet grill, so here’s basically a summary of what I did and the factors that helped me make the decision for ME: Besides made in USA, which all of these pits are (to the best of my knowledge): Why I chose: MAK Top 3 reasons why: 1.

Worth reading the thread.

I put together a excel comparison:

I said I would walk through my thought process for how I chose a particular premium pellet grill, so here’s basically a summary of what I did and the factors that helped me make the decision for ME: Besides made in USA, which all of these pits are (to the best of my knowledge): Why I chose: MAK Top 3 reasons why: 1.

Overall, the conclusion was the MAK was the best bet.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Here’s just another example of the fine folks we have here in The Pit, spending time out of their day to help out a fellow member. What a comprehensive and detailed response! This is one of the reasons Amazing Ribs is the biggest and best BBQ Website there is.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 15, 2021, 08:54 PM.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PJ. My donation to your re-election fund is on its way.🤣

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Make it a big one please. I ain’t lied that much since I been here.😂
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 16, 2021, 06:44 AM.

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
    There is a very detailed thread here that focuses on a similar decision and a similar set of pellet smokers.

Worth reading the thread.

I put together a excel comparison:

Overall, the conclusion was the MAK was the best bet.
    Thank you, I'll read those. I am very close to purchasing an all stainless Two-Star General.

Comment

Out of those choices Stainless 2 Star.

Though the Stainless Pitts and Spitts looks pretty good as well.

Just to add one what about Lone Star Grillz

Lone Star Grillz Pellet Smokers Lone Star Grillz builds the very best custom pellet smokers available by hand one at a time in Willis TEXAS.  We have two sizes currently and they are priced to fit your budget with quality made to last a lifetime.  Our offset pellet smokers are second to none and we take pride in each a

Comment

Minus the Memphis, your list was my short list. I personally wouldn’t consider a Memphis at their prices now that they’re made overseas, but I also had one of the US made Pros before they outsourced and it was a nice grill, just not the right pellet grill for me. I think each of the other grills are likely great, but each has different features, designs, etc. Cookshack is the most unique, but probably will be the best searing machine for small capacities, the P&S I saw was well built, but looks like it’s going to be mostly just a smoker to me. Yoder’s Fireboard integration is cool, and MAK is going to be well built, decent at several things, and very long lasting. Quality wise, you’re likely not going to go wrong with any, you’re regrets are going to be in you don’t match the features you desire. I thought pretty hard about a Yoder, but went with MAK over the paint and fuel efficiency concerns along with the MAK having a larger ‘grilling’ zone that seems to have a little more potential. Though it takes a lot of pellets to cover the price difference, I know I don’t want to be touching up pint every year or two on my go to cooker.

I know you don’t want to add to your list, but you probably should look at the Lone Star Grillz new pellet offering.

Comment

The Lone Star Grillz looks interesting, especially
          • Charcoal grill option with the addition of our main chamber grill grate option.
          Looks to be made of steel though. My grills get wet which is why I like the stainless steel option.

Comment

Buy two or three at that range of price

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnston View Post
              Buy two or three at that range of price
              Only want one, not sure what your point is. My leading choice is over $4,800 shipped, hence the budget. I don't mind paying less but am willing to spend $5K.

Comment

I've hard 3 different pellet grills since 2004 or so. Each one gets a little better. I got a MAK 2 Star last summer and it's a very good Pellet Grill. I'd buy another one for sure. You could easily build a cart with big wheels out of angle iron to set the MAK in then pulling it across your rough terrain. The cart would replace the original wheels. IMO the small swivel that come on a MAK won't roll across your grass.

Comment

I have had many grills and smokers go through my backyard over the past 25+ years… some being quite nice… from gas to charcoal to pellets to sticks. My all-time fave cooker to date has hands down been the MAK lineup of pellet grills

Comment

I was recently faced with a similar decision and went with the MAK 2-Star. Now I’m impatiently waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefully it’ll ship this week. Best of luck on getting a cooker that best meets your needs.

Comment

If the budget is 5k, consider the all stainless 2 Star. Comes with all the racks, wifi, 3 probes, and the front door so really only a few hundred more than the standard 2 star once you order those accessories separate.

For the wheels, a few folks on the MAK facebook page have added aftermarket casters to improve mobility over grass and such.

Having said that, all the smokers you listed are good... though I'd take the Memphis off the list. Most of the recent purchasers on other forums are having buyers remorse since quality and customer service seems to have dropped and the price increased after moving manufacturing to China.

Comment

• Razor
                        Razor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hate to see when a company shoots itself in the foot like that. Unless you are there 24/7 babysitting the production of whatever it is you are making you are left up to their "loose" interpretation of whatever blueprints and BOMs you give them. Then you have to worry about their "sister" company magically releasing a "competing" product for about half the price. Ask me how I know… 😠

Razor Curious what a BOM is. Thanks!

Comment

• Panhead John
                        Panhead John commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bill of materials.

Panhead John Thanks!! You are a walking encyclopedia.

Comment

• Panhead John
                        Panhead John commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hear that a lot! 😂

SS MAK 2 star. I spent an obscene amount of time researching mine (didn’t have SS back then) and I felt the MAK was the way to go. In addition, the customer service I have experienced (igniter went out) was exceptional. They helped me diagnose the problem during a call and sent the new igniter the same day. The only thing they wanted in return was the old igniter so they could see what went wrong.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here